PDA

View Full Version : Booting from non-bootable cd, using floppies?

malaire
09-20-2005, 11:54 AM
The situation is, that I have a knoppix-CD which has been burned file-by-file, but hasn't been made bootable. So it has all the right files in right directories, but just isn't bootable.

Now I want to start Knoppix from that CD using a set of 1440KB boot-floppies (as I'm quite sure single floppy isn't enough).

Is this possible?
(I'm currently working with knoppix-3.8.2, but I'd like to have a method which would work also on newer CDs)

ossobussi
09-20-2005, 12:04 PM
try to get the 4.0 DVD. Start this DVD as Life-DVD; the menue-point KNOPPIX gives you the possibility to create a boot-floppy ( 2 formatted Floppys are needed).
This Boot-Floppy enables you to start a Knoppix Live-CD or -DVD since version 3.4 from the floppy. Then you need to insert the CD and Knoppix will start - hopefully.
I tried this with my installation and it works.

malaire
09-20-2005, 12:16 PM
This Boot-Floppy enables you to start a Knoppix Live-CD or -DVD since version 3.4 from the floppy.

Are you sure it works with non-bootable Knoppix CDs also?
For example the floppy-boot using Smart Boot Manager only works with bootable CDs.

(I don't have a DVD-writer so I can't check this at the moment).

ossobussi
09-20-2005, 12:29 PM
good question. I am not shure, but it makes no sense otherway.
Bootable CD means that the BIOS identifies due to the bootrecord where are my files, that I have to put into the main-memory.
Thats what with the floppy now works.
But try it!

malaire
09-20-2005, 03:12 PM
I could try it once I get DVD-writer somewhere...

Currently I'm testing "Multi Disc Linux Boot Loader 0.1" from http://www.rocklinux.org/mdlbl.html which might work, but I havn't tested it properly yet.

Harry Kuhman
09-20-2005, 04:27 PM
The situation is, that I have a knoppix-CD which has been burned file-by-file, but hasn't been made bootable. So it has all the right files in right directories, but just isn't bootable.
If your CD isn't bootable the reason is that you didn't follow the instructions that a number of people have put a lot of effort into making very clear in the Downloading FAQ. If you really believe that the CD you made is not bootable, tell us just how you made it, or read the Downloading FAQ (found by following the Documentation link near the top of this page) and make one that is bootable.

If instead the problem is that the CD is indeed bootable but that for some reason your system isn't booting it, well, that's covered in the Downloading FAQ too, a nice one-stop place for Downloading, burning and booting inforation.

malaire
09-24-2005, 07:24 PM
If your CD isn't bootable the reason is that you didn't follow the instructions ...

Sorry, I didn't mention clearly enough why I want this. I do know how to burn bootable CDs.

I'm currently creating customized knoppix-CD, and I want to support a scenario where the user of this CD doesn't know how to properly copy his/her CD, and makes a non-bootable copy to his/her friend.

Now I want that friend to be able to create a new bootable CD with what he/she has, with as little hassle as possible.
Currently I'm thinking of adding images of boot-floppies to the CD, which can be used to boot the unbootable CD, and a simple script to recreate the original iso-file with right options.