PDA

View Full Version : How to boot from my Hard-drive using Knoppix v3.3?

frastitute
09-21-2005, 02:55 PM
Hello everyone,

I have finally gotten Knoppix 3.3 to work on my system!!!! However, I know that it is possible to have Knoppix boot from my harddrive, and i have been trying. I had copied the CD to my HD and tried the command "knoppix bootfrom/dev/hda1" or something along that line. But it is saying that knoppix file system not found. I would appreciate it very much if someone would be able to assist and give me step-by-step ways of loading knoppix onto my HD and booting from it.

Thanks in advance.

ICPUG
09-23-2005, 06:43 PM
Frastitute,

Have you read the documentation on:
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition

This has been written for versions of Knoppix 3.6 and above. Maybe you you should think about getting one of these later versions and then following the instructions.

The probable reason for your failure with 3.3 is that you have copied to the wrong place.

If you copy the file in the \KNOPPIX directory of the CD into a c:\KNOPPIX directory on your hard drive (I am using Windows speak here as I am guessing you currently use Windows), then boot up with the CD. When the command line appears type:
knoppix bootfrom=/dev/hda1

If it works the rest of the bootup is performed from your hard disk.

ICPUG

tdjokic
09-23-2005, 07:04 PM
Here can be some mistake - frastitute has registred sometimes in early 2004 and has 2 posts until now? Knoppix 3.3 has been released 2004/02/16, so this make sense with the date of his registration, not with today's date.

frastitute
10-03-2005, 02:29 PM
I have read the material to which I was referred about Poor Mans Installation. However, it is not working i.e. I have a 20 gig HD (NTFS), and i recently partitioned it to 4gig (FAT32) for the knoppix image and about 2gig for the Persistent Home(PH). Now, when I load knoppix it is only recogizing the C drive (NTFS) and not the FAT32 drives. I then placed the 4gig (FAT32) drive as primary thinking that it would be detected then but it wasn't. So I am unable to copy the knoppix to HD and boot from it which I would love to do. If anyone can assist please do and let me know what i am doing wrong. Thanks in advance.