PDA

View Full Version : fusecram and corresponding zAppRun

dmiceman
09-21-2005, 07:32 PM
Hello all.

There is now possible to avoid using loopback mounting of cmg files, but use FUSE module to do that. There is some advantages and disadvantages. Advantages: no need to modify /etc/fstab, limit on number of allowed mounts are much more restrictive (1000 by default). Disadvantages: need to use recent linux kernel (FUSE will be included in 2.6.14; right now you need to install FUSE separately).

That is it: Quick`n`Dirty cramfs FUSE module: fusecram, which can be downloaded from http://ubiz.ru/dm/fusecram-20051029.tar.bz2

It require FUSE (of course), zlib and glib2.

Status: works for me :-) Thanks to Miklos Szeredi, FUSE author for help on debugging it today. Right now it is known to be slow as hell because very unoptimal implementation. For example, it reads real directory structure from cram image each time it is requested by kernel. But what you want from two-days-old program? :-) For using with klik it seems reasonable fast. For me it works faster than kernel-space mounting.

How to use it? Download, compile, install. Than take a little modified zAppRun script from http://ubiz.ru/dm/zAppRun and replace your current $HOME/.zAppRun with it. A little chance there will be no problems :-) If any, please contact me by this forum or directly.

P.S. Unfortunately, i`ll have no much time next few months. So, if anyone want to take fusecram maintenance, i`ll be very happy.. It laks any documentation, it can contain serious bugs, it can be much more improved for klik purposes, etc, etc..

Edited 2005-10-29: Version update, major bugfix

bfree
09-25-2005, 03:20 PM
This is brilliant :-) The bad news for me was that it wouldn't actually work as was :-( I've some tests to do to discover just what is going on (probably what I did wrong) but in the meantime, in case anyone else hits the same issue, you can mount with "fusecram foo.cmg mnt -f &" which forces it to stay in one thread but puts it in the background.

Thanks again dmiceman :-D

probono
09-28-2005, 09:20 PM
dmiceman - what should I say, this is just... *perfect*!
Thank you so much for this great contribution, it will help klik a lot.

We are currently working with the Kanotix team to get it into the upcoming 2005-04 release, and maybe others such as SUSE SUPER will follow suit.

I just tested a prerelease Kanotix version, and fusecram works well there. Hopefully we can get fuseiso in there, too.

Again, thank you so much.

Greetings,
probono

dmiceman
09-29-2005, 07:37 PM
dmiceman - what should I say, this is just... *perfect*!
Thank you so much for this great contribution, it will help klik a lot.

We are currently working with the Kanotix team to get it into the upcoming 2005-04 release, and maybe others such as SUSE SUPER will follow suit.

I just tested a prerelease Kanotix version, and fusecram works well there. Hopefully we can get fuseiso in there, too.

Again, thank you so much.

:-) Thank you! I`m glad to hear what it is working for you.

Including into distros: that is great! The on thing i need to note -- fusecram need more testing. Unfortunately, problem with bfree box is not resolved yet..

About fuseiso: bad thing is what i can`t spend enough time to it right now, but there is some progress already :-) Today [part of] RRIP specification will be implemented.

BTW: Looks like klik-devel list is completely broken :-( This is difficult for some peples (like me) to participate in #klik all time..