PDA

View Full Version : It's all one German

adamfl
09-22-2005, 09:50 AM
Dear All,

I have done the install to hdd. I then did an apt-get upgrade to debian.

Somewhere along the line everything went german.....

I have reset kde via the kde config tools but console apps etc are all still in german (e.g. say ifconfig). I have tried editing the lilo.conf & calling lilo again but that seemed to make no difference.

Any ideas?

Adam

adamfl
09-22-2005, 09:51 AM
Whoops sorry about that. I was typing at speed.

Adam

CrashedAgain
09-22-2005, 08:20 PM
What edit did you make to lilo.conf? If you add 'lang=us' to the 'append=' line it should start up in english. You can also edit /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig to make the default language english instead of german.

adamfl
09-23-2005, 04:07 PM
"What edit did you make to lilo.conf? If you add 'lang=us' to the 'append=' line it should start up in english. You can also edit /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig to make the default language english instead of german."

Those are the 2 things I tried & yet oddly I still get german in text/console apps etc. e.g. ifconfig reports back in german.

I will look at auto-config once more just to check there is only one place (in auto-config) where I have to make that change.

Adam

Marjorie
10-01-2005, 06:26 PM
I've also had problems recently when I recomplied my kernel from the Knoppix 3.9 (2.6.11), to one based on Debian-2.6.13.2 (this was part of adding a line of code ot the kernel that would allow Knoppix to recognise my new SATA drive/SiS 965L chipset.

I didn't apply the knoppix patches (not sure if they would work on a different kernel) and once it was working (at this stage it was still in english) I asked it to save the hardware config during the boot sequence and then it switched to german everywhere (shells, kde, firefox, etc.). Possibly you might be having the same problems as a result of your using apt-get to upgrade, particularly if you downloaded a vanilla Debian kernel?

Anyway after tracking back (and repeatedly failing to get my changes to stick) I found that the important file to edit seems to be /etc/sysconfig/[ver]/knoppix, and perhaps /etc/sysconfig/[ver]/i18n. where in my case [ver] is now 2.6.13.2.
I was able to copy over the old 'us' knoppix file from ../2.6.11/ and then once this worked I modified it to an English, rather than a USA locale.

regards,
--
Marjorie