PDA

View Full Version : get-apt problems

SwirlingVenom
09-23-2005, 11:26 PM
I recently did an HD installation of KNOPPIX, I did as the swf video said on this site to do. Once I got to the desktop after installing, I opened a root terminal, and typed in

"get-apt update"

It gives me a long list of all thse updates,

E: Package could not be open or parsed
E: package list could not be parsed or read
E: error occured while processing libafterstep()
E: Problem with merge list <long path name>

How do I go about fixing the problem, I installed knoppix 3.7 on a pentium 4 computer. Thanks for your time.

sakiZ
09-24-2005, 02:31 PM
Try apt-get update.

You had it backwards.

sakiZ

SwirlingVenom
09-24-2005, 06:02 PM
heh, I typed it wrong here, yes I was trying apt-get in the root window. And that error is what I was getting.

CrashedAgain
09-26-2005, 01:43 AM
are you still getting this error? sometimes apt will not work then will work next try.

pboodi
10-06-2005, 05:20 PM
I Cant find it................can someone post a link? :D

UnderScore
10-06-2005, 06:02 PM
I Cant find it................can someone post a link? :DFrom "ON POSTING: FORUMS and SUBJECT LINES" (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16574)

Other Thoughts on using the forums to post your topic in the right place:

***** Do not change the subject and post a completely different question inside of an existing thread. Start a new thread for a new topic.

The word for it is "piggy-backing" or "hijacking" a thread, in some cases, when the topic is still maintained, only someone else wants more information, then this isnt the same, but, when the topic starts out as "I cant boot the Knoppix CD", and half-way through the thread, someone posts an issue on "How do I setup a network card", that would not only be hijacking, but, may not get the person an answer on there issue...

***** Also, once you pick a forum, look over the existing posts (or use the Knoppix website search feature on the top of each forum page) to see if others haven't posted about the same problem that you are posting about. There is certainly no good reason why many people post the same questions every day. It is not reasonable to say that "I can't be bothered to look at the previous posts" and expect others to spend their time in giving you the same answers that you could have found yourself if you had taken a few minutes to look.

Chances are, in most cases, someone else has already had the same issue, and could have also got it resolved... This isnt something a "moderator" should have to point out, a poster should see this also: Searching for an issue that has already been resolved, is a lot faster, and will get you an answer quicker, than starting a completely new post, and waiting for a response... ALSO... from a response persons "point-of-view", I dont want to have to go to replying with a "link" to a topic, that gave them there answer, when they could have done the same thing themselves... I prefer the "personal" touch, but, if topics get repeating too much, that may get to be the responses you will get... i.e. I dont want to be cold, and have to post replies like... RTFM

As for your inquiry on the video, see http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Install_HowTo

pboodi
10-07-2005, 03:57 AM
Sorry......(dont ask unrelated questions in a thread) .........I think I got it... :oops: