PDA

View Full Version : Disconnect Reconnect Network line

ScriptHam
09-25-2005, 06:34 PM
Hi

When I leave my home pc for some time I am in the habit of disconnecting my RJ45 from my ADSL modem/Router. This works fine with WInXP on reconnection. My knoppix box however doesn't automatically find the modem on reconnection - there is simply no internet, no Google, no bookmarked web sites.

Sometimes on booting up it won't find the modem either. To be truthful this sometimes happens with XP.

Can anyone advise me of the right procedure for reconnecting?

Unable to discover my knoppix version number but installed from live CD of about 2 years ago. Hope that helps.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Many thanks
ScriptHam :D

Harry Kuhman
09-25-2005, 07:52 PM
When I leave my home pc for some time I am in the habit of disconnecting my RJ45 from my ADSL modem/Router.....
I'm not clear on why you are doing this. Is it a security issue to keep hackers out, an equipment safety issue to avoid damage from lightning strikes and the like, or something else?

I don't do as you do, so this is not from experience. But I would think it would be far better if you want to unplug something, assuming that there is only one computer on the router, to disconnect the link between the router and the modem. That way a surge coming in can't damage your router, nor can a hacker looking for routers to exploit. Your router should respond to the disconnect and reconnect fairly quickly and it certainly will not be operating system dependent.

tdjokic
09-25-2005, 08:10 PM
about 2 years ago

Harry Kuhman
09-25-2005, 08:35 PM
about 2 years ago

About 2 years ago? Looks to me like he just joined today. However, a waiting time on posting might be a good idea, would certainly encourage people to read the existing posts and the wiki and cut down on the signal-to-noise ratio problems ......
:D

ScriptHam
09-25-2005, 09:25 PM
Hi Harry :)

Thanks for your posts.

I am a new member on this forum today as you observe.

I have experimented with Linux for several years. Due to conflicts I can't linstall from a DVD on the pc I use for experimentation. Have tried libranet, vector, white box, mandrake, suse ... all without success. This leaves me just an old live CD of Knoppix and by and large it works. There are posts, by me under my alias ScriptHam, somewhere on the Libranet forum dealing with this.

Your solution to disconnect between the router and the modem is I'm sure very good. In my case the modem and router are combined - Dlink DSL G604T - and so I wondered if there were any other possibilities?

I think that it ought to be possible to get linux to repeat whatever it did at boot up to connect to the router/modem but I am a newbie. I was hoping that maybe someone knew.

Anyway thanks again.

ScriptHam

Harry Kuhman
09-25-2005, 10:44 PM
Your solution to disconnect between the router and the modem is I'm sure very good. In my case the modem and router are combined - Dlink DSL G604T - and so I wondered if there were any other possibilities?
I hate to state the obvious, but there should still be an RJ-11 jack going into the router/modem, and I would give you pretty good odds that if you unplug there rather than at the RJ-45 you'll still get disconnected from the Internet.

Markus
09-25-2005, 11:07 PM
You can try reconnecting with:
ifup eth0
pump -i eth0
If eth0 is what you use, that is. If it doesn't work do "ifdown eth0" first.

ScriptHam
09-26-2005, 06:24 PM
Hi Harry and Markus

Harry I had though about disconnecting the RJ11, now I see that it will disconnect from the internet and should reconnect without disturbing the state of Linux. Thanks for this I will put it to the test. As you indicate there are good odds that it will work perfectly well.

Markus I will try this at the next opportunity, am running XP just now: ahhh! not a bad time to try it on the Linux box then. Maybe later tonight.

Thanks gents I can see me using both methods.

ScriptHam