PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Live CD and X11

jcrouzzo
09-25-2005, 10:59 PM
Hi everyone,

Im new to knoppix, however have a bit of experience with linux, (not an expert, but know my way around) and im having some trouble

I downloaded the 3.927-5-2005.iso distribution, ran the checksums file is fine, burned carefully at a low speed, and then booted

After booting everything went fine it would say you have passed an unknown mode number just hit space, until I had problems with x 11 it would attempt to load the screen would flicker and then corrupt, or something to that likeness

I researched the forums found several possible solutions including multiple combinations of the following cheatcodes,

vga=0 xmodule=fbdev xmodule=svga xmodule=vesa screen =1280X764 screen=1024x768 screen=640x480fb=1024x768 fb=640x480 and vga=0 debug -b 3

depending on what i did it either did the same thing as before, or ran through x11, xfree86 vesa and fbdev, trying to start all three, and then gave the following error

error: no suitable x-server found for your card

now i have on board graphics( intel 82815 graphics controller) could anyone offer some suggestions? im tapped

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Justin

blaqsense
09-27-2005, 04:55 AM
I'M HAVING THE SAME PROBLEMS...SO AT THE START UP I FOLLOWED THE FAQ/CHEATNOTES BY PLACING "knoppix vga=0 -b 3" and when it finishes all the processes and starts up "x11 starting" my screen blinks 3 times and then i have this video with nothing there...just vertical gray lines and nothing else. Now I'm new also...

(i hope it was okay for me to piggy back on your post since I'm having the same problems) :?:

rwcitek
09-30-2005, 06:04 AM
i have on board graphics( intel 82815 graphics controller) could anyone offer some suggestions?
Try this:

boot: knoppix xmodule=i810

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org

ckamin
09-30-2005, 08:57 AM
now i have on board graphics( intel 82815 graphics controller) could anyone offer some suggestions? im tapped
The Integrated Graphics is the most likely source of your concern. The Intel 810 and 815 chipsets do not appear to play well with many versions of Linux. The cheatcode provided by rwcitek should do the trick. The other option is to get a different motherboard with compatible graphics.

Please post the results, good or bad with the cheatcode. If your solution is something else or something in addition, please let us know what did the trick for you.

blaqsense
10-01-2005, 01:25 PM
My Cisco instructor informed me about the problem with Intel as well. I installed a PCI VGA and I had no issues with it...hope this helps you out. 8)