PDA

View Full Version : USB Mouse doesn't work Knoppix 4.0

avarice
09-26-2005, 03:24 AM
Hi All:

I've been a Knoppix user since version 3.3. Anyways, Knoppix 4.0 (both CD and DVD) do not detect the USB mouse I am currently using (Microsoft Intellimouse Optical). Once the "Scanning for USB devices" line comes up during boot, the mouse light goes off. Knoppix 3.7 works fine with this computer, so I am not sure why 4.0 doesn't work. Expert mode brings the same problem, it still scans for USB devices and then the mouse light goes off. Has anyone else experienced this? A quick search on the site says no.

BTW, Motherboard is an MSI K8T Neo (VIA K8T800 Chipset) with an up to date BIOS.

Harry Kuhman
09-26-2005, 04:10 AM
I just booted 4.0.2 DVD. My USB mouse (Logitech) worked fine. This on an HP notebook. I had previously used 4.0.1 on it with good results too.

Can you get any other USB device to work? Flash memory? Anything that might help determine if it a mouse issue or a USB issue? Got any other USB mice?

Personally I have low expectation that any hardware with a Microsoft logo will work under Linux, even a mouse. But I'm just synical that way (and have seen the dirty stuff MS does too many times).

Alexander123
09-26-2005, 09:21 AM
Hello,

I have the same problem. I use USB-Mouse Logitech MX518, with Knoppix-CD 3.9 it works without problems, with Knoppix-CD 4.0.2 it doas not work!

After scanning USB-Hardware the mouse-light goes off?

Please help us, thank you!!!

Alex

avarice
09-30-2005, 01:36 AM
I had an opportunity to try out a USB key. No go. USB is the problem. Somehow, USB support for VIA chipset got broken in the 4.0 release.

Harry Kuhman
09-30-2005, 02:12 AM
I had an opportunity to try out a USB key. No go. USB is the problem. Somehow, USB support for VIA chipset got broken in the 4.0 release.
I have an MB with a VIA chipset on it. Have not tried USB on 4.0.x on that system yet. I can't test it at the moment (download in progress that will take several hours), but I will give it a try when I can and report back my results.

rwlaschin
10-03-2005, 05:06 PM
I seem to be having a similar problem. Using the DE knoppix 4.0 DVD (with knoppix lang=en) my 'MICROSOFT Wireless Optical Mouse' works but when I got the EN 4.0 DVD my mouse wouldn't work; since I upgraded to 4.02 DVD both the DE and the EN version do not detect my mouse. Interesting no? I have not tried any of the cheat codes for 'fixing' mouse problems ... yet

oldbenwa
10-04-2005, 07:15 PM
My Sandisk 256mb USB Flash Drive and Seagate 200gb USB Hard Drive are not working with 4.0.2. Via chipset here as well.

Edit: Both worked great under 3.9.

Oldbenwa