PDA

View Full Version : How is Kboppix configuration info saved?

Harry Kuhman
04-25-2003, 08:09 PM
I'm concerned that somehow configuration information from Knoppix might have been saved that I can't find. In Knoppix 3.2 I have found the menu entry to save the configuration information, and can use it to create a configuration file that is saved on the hard drive; I can see that file under Windows and can delete it to know I've cleared that configuration information.

However, I used the older Knoppix 3.1 for a while; the version that has a pre-checked check box at the pop-up window when you shut down that defaults to saving the "configuration". I believe I always unchecked this, but want to be sure that is no 3.1 configuration information still on my system. I've searched the hard disk and can't find any files that seem to be knoppix configuration information, but I've also deliberately closed Knoppix 3.1 with the save configuration box still checked and even when I do that I can't find a configuration file! So am I overlooking something, or was this information never really saved?

Since it might matter, my configuration is a 2 partition drive, the first partition is a 5 gig NTFS partition for WinXP, the rest of the disk is a Fat32 partition. I've search but neither partition seems to have Knoppix 3.1 configuration information on it, even after I deliberately tried to create some.

WebbPA
04-25-2003, 11:10 PM
I have no answer, Harry. All I can do is commiserate. I have tried EVERYTHING to save my configurations. I can see the files (knoppix.sh and configs.tbz) on my floppy and, when copied, on my HD.

No matter what I do - myconf=scan, floppyconfig - they refuse to load along with the program. I always end up with default settings.

I still do not understand why I can't write a DOS batch file that runs from pure DOS (not a window) and does this:

CD C:\Knoppix
Loadlin.exe
[Pass startup parameters from knoppix.sh and configs.tbz to the program]

Is that too much to ask?