PDA

View Full Version : No Sound After Modem Card Removed

sakiZ
09-28-2005, 03:47 AM
Boy this is a weird one. I bought an external modem and set it up.

Once I got it running, I figured I should pull the old! ISA modem card out.

I did that and got a slew of nasty error messages saying that that emu10k1 found an unused interrupt. The screen generated this message over and over filling it. The computer booted but there was no sound.

I tried this a second time. The computer never finished completely booting and then locked up. I had to manually fsck the drive to get Knoppix to boot again. I lost my desktop settings and had to redo them.

Once I did that I put the old modem card back in, and booted with no problems.

Any Linux experts out there have an idea what's going on?

For now the old modem card is staying in place.

sakiZ

sakiZ
09-28-2005, 03:44 PM
Ok, I just read my post. I should have said the error message was:

unaccounted for interrupt. I was pretty freaked out when I wrote it. I should have copied it down.

Anyway, I tried rmmod on the emu10k1 module. But of course it did not remove because "it is busy" If it had removed I would not have had any sound at that point.

I'm thinking maybe I could swap out the sound blaster card temporarily with another one just long enough to maybe pull the old ISA modem card out. Then switch back.

Well, for the moment, the old ISA modem card will stay put. :-)

sakiZ

sakiZ
10-18-2005, 09:29 PM
Well, to follow up with my experience. The sound card, a Sound Blaster Live 5.1 card, DIED!
I got an RMA number and sent the card off to be replaced as it still was under warranty. The tech rep tried to talk me out of it. He said for the price of shipping I could get a new card. Hmmm. I work in an office where we ship stuff every day. I knew that was BS. Shipping cost me $3.13. :-)

But I digress. After the sound card died, the computer would not even boot. As soon as I took it out, I could boot to both Knoppix and Windoze.

Toward the end, the computer acted more and more bizarrely. Get this: Windoze XP saw the card as a network card and tried to configure it as that. Knoppix just refused to load the sound module. That tipped me off. Thank you Linux for giving me the correct information to solve my bizarre computer behavior.

As soon as I pulled the card out, everything was back to normal. I have temporarily replaced the Sound Blaster with the old Vortex 8810 (using the 2.6.9 kernel.) I sounds great. I just can't use it with kernel 2.4, which is what I use most of the time. It's the only one that sees ALL my hardware.

Whew!!! What a bizarre ride.

sakiZ