PDA

View Full Version : Figuring out which ethernet driver I have loaded

carmat06
09-28-2005, 07:29 PM
Hi all,

It seems I have a very common problem, I have the Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21140 [FasterNet] (rev 22) ethernet card and in order to install I have to nodhcp at the boot screen which leaves me with no network connection.

So, from reading the boards, the way to solve this is to

#rmmod <current drver>
#modprobe <new driver>

Is there any way to know what driver the system has loaded already, and is does anyone know where I can get list of possible drivers to to try si I can cycle through until I find one that works.

Thanks!

Matt

rwcitek
09-29-2005, 01:00 AM
Is there any way to know what driver the system has loaded already
Yes. lsmod will list the modules that are currently loaded.

does anyone know where I can get list of possible drivers to to try si I can cycle through until I find one that works
All the modules are somewhere in /lib/modules/2.*/kernel/ . You can get a complete list with this command:

find /lib/modules/2.*/kernel/ -type f -name '*.ko' | less -iX

Under Knoppix 3.8.2, I was just fiddling around in the /lib/modules/2.6.11/ and noticed a number of modules.* files. The one that caught my eye was modules.pcimap. I imagine that with modules.pcimap plus the information from an lspci command and you might be able to figure out what module should load for a device. You may also discover which module is the incorrect module. This bit of code might be helpful:

paste <(lspci -vmn) <(lspci -vm | cut -f2)
BTW, another place to look is /usr/share/misc/pci.ids.

Good luck and if you figure how the pieces fit together, please let the rest of us know how.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org