PDA

View Full Version : 4.02 CD install problem

lotech
09-29-2005, 02:11 AM
I just downloaded the long waited 4.02 CD version, but I can't install it to HD, it said my HD has a strange geometry ! and then I try another new 20G HD, but it said I don't have 2G space, and force me to repartition it. I don't know how to use that s/w, I try to delete the partition and format it, restart the HD install again, but the same problem. I don't have this problem on the 3.9. I then use the cd test option to test my download, but nothing happened or it takes too long time to complete, can someone tell me what went wrong ?

Harry Kuhman
09-29-2005, 02:32 AM
..... I then use the cd test option to test my download, but nothing happened or it takes too long time ....
testcd doesn't check your download. The md5 check checks your download. testcd tests your cd after it is burnt, but doesn't check everything. If you can't get testcd to even run then you really need to do what you should have down before, do the md5 test. See the downloading faq for details; follow the documentation link near the top of this page to find that.

lotech
09-29-2005, 02:40 AM
So what does the testcd do, I assume it will test the files integrity, I will try to install to another PC to see what comes.

Harry Kuhman
09-29-2005, 04:12 AM
So what does the testcd do, I assume it will test the files integrity, I will try to install to another PC to see what comes.
testcd does what I said it does. Good idea, keep trying to install to different systems rather than take two minutes to learn how to do the proper test.

lotech
09-29-2005, 04:30 AM
Just tested on another PC but the same problem, I guess I've a bad download or burn.

Harry Kuhman
09-29-2005, 04:34 AM
Just tested on another PC but the same problem, I guess I've a bad download or burn.
well, that's the perfect thing to do, guess and assume. If only there were some very simple way to test the download to be sure if it was good or not........

Or even some download technique other than the mirrors that didn't corrupt the download frequently .....

lotech
09-29-2005, 04:44 AM
Burning speed also a problem, burning at lower speed is more reliable......

Harry Kuhman
09-29-2005, 04:49 AM
Burning speed also a problem, burning at lower speed is more reliable......
yup, that is clearly covered in the Downloading FAQ I tried to get you to read. But if you suspect you may have a bad download, burning speed is not the way to try to address or determine that.

lotech
09-29-2005, 10:06 AM
I find another post regarding partition the HD, I will try that before I try another download, but as far as I remember I haven't done any manual partitioning while install the 3.9, everything was so automatic, is the install script changed ?