PDA

View Full Version : Where is my CDRW?

Viro
04-26-2003, 02:14 AM
I've got my CDRW installed as a secondary slave. Normally in Linux, its located at /dev/hdd. But seeing as my DVD-ROM (secondary master) is located at /dev/cdrom (instead of the normal /dev/hdc), where could my CDRW be?

rickenbacherus
04-26-2003, 02:26 AM
cdrecord -scanbus

cat /proc/scsi/scsi

Stephen
04-26-2003, 02:35 AM
It would be /dev/scd1.

Viro
04-26-2003, 10:27 AM
Thanks stephen. Where would I find such information (so that in future, I can look it up myself)?

RockMumbles
04-26-2003, 03:38 PM
If you use the command(s):
dmesg | grep sr
grep will search through dmesg for scsi cd devices /dev/sr0, /dev/sr1, etc. on your system, from this you should be able to figure out which device is your DVD and which is your cdrw, from what you say your DVD should be 'sr0', and your cdrw 'sr1' (dmesg will just say sr0 or sr1, when in actually the devices are /dev/sr0 and /dev/sr1)

Then if you do a:
ls -al /dev/sr*
you will see that /dev/sr0 is linked to /dev/scd0 and /dev/sr1 is linked to /dev/scd1, (enough technical stuff).

What I usually do (logged in in as root) is create a cdrw device that I use instead of having to remember if my cdrw is device /dev/sr0 or /dev/sr1 etc. I do this: (assuming your cdrw is /dev/sr1)
ln -s /dev/scd1 /dev/cdrw
I also make a mountpoint /cdrw (still as root: mkdir /cdrw), then edit /etc/fstab and copy the /dev/cdrom line and change /dev/cdrom to /dev/cdrw and the mountpoint /cdrom to /cdrw, save the /etc/fstab file and then I can mount my cdrw. If you want a KDE desktop icon for your cdrw right click on the desktop and select "Create New" then "CdRom Device", name it select the "Device" tab and from the dropdown select: /dev/cdrw (/cdrw).

HTH

rock

aay
04-26-2003, 05:45 PM
Thanks stephen. Where would I find such information (so that in future, I can look it up myself)?

You can also find it (as rickenbacherus indicated above) with 'cdrecord -scanbus'

In my case this yields:

Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 J?rg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24
Using libscg version 'schily-0.5'
scsibus0:
0,0,0 0) 'SONY ' 'CD-RW CRX160E ' '1.0e' Removable CD-ROM
0,1,0 1) *
0,2,0 2) *
0,3,0 3) *
0,4,0 4) *
0,5,0 5) *
0,6,0 6) *
0,7,0 7) *

Since it tells me the cd is at "scsibus0", then I know to look for it at /dev/scd0

rickenbacherus
04-26-2003, 07:09 PM

The search function on this site will usually get you the basics. The results page is in a very easy to use format. Personally, I use Konqueror and my middle mouse button is set to open links in a new tab. Do a search, open multiple tabs and start reading.

Just my 3 cents...