PDA

View Full Version : How do I start the iso of the harddisk with lilo?

testerus
10-01-2005, 06:36 PM
I have put the following into /etc/lilo.conf

image=/boot/knoppix/linux
label="knoppix"
initrd=/boot/knoppix/minirt.gz
append="ramdisk_size=100000 fromiso=/dev/hda2/KNX.iso screen=1280x1024 lang=de"

The knoppix kernel boots, but can't find the image. hda2 is an ext2 partition, knoppix version is KNOPPIX_V4.0.2DVD-2005-09-23-DE.iso, checksum is ok. What am I doing wrong?

TIA, Helge

ruymbeke
10-01-2005, 07:24 PM
I have put the following into /etc/lilo.conf

label="knoppix"
initrd=/boot/knoppix/minirt.gz
append="ramdisk_size=100000 fromiso=/dev/hda2/KNX.iso screen=1280x1024 lang=de"

The knoppix kernel boots, but can't find the image. hda2 is an ext2 partition, knoppix version is KNOPPIX_V4.0.2DVD-2005-09-23-DE.iso, checksum is ok. What am I doing wrong?
TIA, Helge
Try to use my minirt_ntfs.gz instead of the minirt.gz of the cd/dvd, even though your iso file is not on a ntfs but a ext2 partition:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796&start=276 and Windows Partition PMI (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition)
Good luck and let me know if it is working for you.
Thanks, Gilles

testerus
10-02-2005, 11:08 PM
Thank you, minirt_ntfs worked together with the bootfrom parameter :

label="knoppix"
initrd=/boot/knoppix/minirt_ntfs.gz
append="ramdisk_size=100000 bootfrom=/dev/hda2/knx.iso screen=1280x1024 lang=de"

With minirt.gz it told that it mounted the ext2 partition too, but I am unable to tell details because I could not access /static/busybox and thus had no shell commands.

testerus
10-10-2005, 02:39 PM
What other types of partitions are supported? Is it supposed to work from Reiserfs as well?

ruymbeke
10-10-2005, 05:29 PM
What other types of partitions are supported? Is it supposed to work from Reiserfs as well?
I can read some lines in the linuxrc trying to load reiserfs but I have never tried it since I don't have any reiser partition on my systems. If not working it could probably be fixed. Can someone try to boot from the iso being in a reiser partition using my minirt_ntfs.gz ?
Thanks, Gilles

testerus
10-11-2005, 10:34 AM
When I tried booting the image of an reiserfs partition I got to the minishell (with working busybox) only. Please tell me what kind of additional information you need. TIA, Helge

ruymbeke
10-11-2005, 04:51 PM
When I tried booting the image of an reiserfs partition I got to the minishell (with working busybox) only. Please tell me what kind of additional information you need. TIA, Helge
Thank you for the testing and response. From busybox can you mount/read/access files in your Reiserfs ?
Do you know if Reiser support is built-in the knoppix kernel or a modprobe module is required ?
Best Regards, Gilles

testerus
10-12-2005, 02:20 PM
From busybox I could not mount the reiserfs partition (told me "invalid device"). Knoppix is using reiserfs as a module:

$ lsmod|grep fs
autofs4 19076 1
reiserfs 231024 0
unionfs 68088 1
ntfs 163600 0

ruymbeke
10-16-2005, 03:06 AM
From busybox I could not mount the reiserfs partition (told me "invalid device"). Knoppix is using reiserfs as a module...
Done. I had to add the /modules/reiserfs.ko module and update the linuxrc boot script in the the minirt_reiser.gz ramdisk. Please find it here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=94216#94216
Enjoy and please give me some feedback,
Cheers, Gilles

testerus
10-16-2005, 05:20 PM
Thank you, minirt_reiser.gz works fine.

testerus
10-16-2005, 10:43 PM
But it works only if I have the KNOPPIX directory of the iso on the harddisk. Booting the iso itself does not work, it looks like the boot parameters are ignored. When I remove the KNOPPIX directory I get:

Accessing KNOPPIX CD&DVD at /dev/hda9...insmod: error inserting '/modules/cloop.ko': -1 bad file number
Segmentation faultbut the partition with knoppix is /dev/hda5 (according to md5sum the image is valid)

ruymbeke
10-17-2005, 03:38 AM
But it works only if I have the KNOPPIX directory of the iso on the harddisk. Booting the iso itself does not work, it looks like the boot parameters are ignored. When I remove the KNOPPIX directory I get:

Accessing KNOPPIX CD&DVD at /dev/hda9...insmod: error inserting '/modules/cloop.ko': -1 bad file number
Segmentation faultbut the partition with knoppix is /dev/hda5 (according to md5sum the image is valid)
If you have a partition with a /KNOPPIX directory and/or a KNOPPIX file you may want to be very carefull.
The linuxrc script is now poorly written and is a real patchwork. Try to rename or remove any /KNOPPIX directory or /KNOPPIX filename you may have on all your partitions and try again. The existence of such directory may fool the script which may try to load portion of the data from the iso and portion from the /KNOPPIX directory. I have it working without any problem on a couple of my systems. Please let me know. Best Regards,
Gilles

Kihoma
10-17-2005, 07:37 PM
I've searched the forum loking for this precious informatioin on how to boot the .iso file through lilo. I have downloaded a lot of stuff, most of it modified kernels to support the "boot fromhd=/dev/hdXX/*iso" option. I still have to try it out but I hoped I could find something more straight to the target. I mean, I found a lot of stuff on how to configure GRUB in order to get it done, but no info on lilo.
Anyone of you guys can help me??? Currently I've got Kurumin 5.0 (a brazilian Knoppix remaster) installed on my HD in multi-boot with Kurumin 3.1 (/dev/hdXX/knoppix and kernel 2.4), INSERT, and I want to use GamesKnoppix from an iso file on my HD. The boot manager is lilo.

ruymbeke
10-17-2005, 10:29 PM
I've searched the forum loking for this precious informatioin on how to boot the .iso file through lilo. I have downloaded a lot of stuff, most of it modified kernels to support the "boot fromhd=/dev/hdXX/*iso" option. I still have to try it out but I hoped I could find something more straight to the target. I mean, I found a lot of stuff on how to configure GRUB in order to get it done, but no info on lilo.
Anyone of you guys can help me??? Currently I've got Kurumin 5.0 (a brazilian Knoppix remaster) installed on my HD in multi-boot with Kurumin 3.1 (/dev/hdXX/knoppix and kernel 2.4), INSERT, and I want to use GamesKnoppix from an iso file on my HD. The boot manager is lilo.
You can use a command line for lilo from DOS as this one:

"loadlin.exe linux initrd=minirt~1.gz ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init bootfrom=/dev/hda1/boot/knoppix.402/*.iso lang=us dma quiet apm=power-off nomce noprompt"
Or update your existing lilo.conf as follow:

image=/boot/knoppix.402/linux
label="Knoppix"
root=/dev/hda1
initrd=/boot/knoppix.402/minirt_ntfs.gz
append="ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init bootfrom=/dev/hda1/boot/knoppix.402/*.iso lang=us dma quiet apm=power-off nomce noprompt"
Or just use lilo to start grub by adding the following lines to your lilo.conf:

image=/boot/grub.exe
label="grub"
using the grub.exe from this link: http://sarovar.org/download.php/770/grub_for_dos-0.4.1pre28.tar.gz
and using my instruction in my other thread: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93758#93758
But don't forget to use the minirt_ntfs.gz in this link: http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/kno402.zip to boot from the knoppix 4.02 (game) iso.
Hope this helps. Please give me some feedback. Best Regards,
Gilles

Kihoma
10-19-2005, 09:10 PM
Thanks Gilles!!!! I had already downloaded that file(initrd_ntfs). So I put it on my HD at /bootISO, and booted a Knoppix remaster iso (kalango) at /dev/hda7 (root=/dev/hda7). Since it was an iso file I think this will work to any iso, provided the distro has the same kernel. I've been using the knoppix file (inside the iso) as an alternative to boot the system without using a CD drive. Now, thanks to this new option, I can boot the iso file directly, no need to extract the knoppix folder from within the iso to a HD partition as I used to. By the way, I downloaded the wrong version of knoppix games. Instead of the DVD iso (v. 4.02) I have downloded the CD iso (v.3.07). Anyway, since I was able to boot a remaaster of Knoppix with that initrd-ntfs and plus the tips you gave me, I believe I'1ll be able to boot also the Knoppix CD iso. I have a FAT32 partition only for this purpose.
As soon as I try it I'll let you know if I succeeded or not.
Tahnk you asgain :D :D :D

pau1knopp
02-07-2006, 07:06 PM
I can get a lilo boot using the bootfrom cheatcode on an ext2 partition to work fine without the modified minirt.gz. I did a tohd cheatcode to get the compressed file system to my partition.

My ISO and my /KNOPPIX directory live on /dev/hda2. Here is the lilo.conf I used

Paul

vga=791
lba32
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
noprompt
append="hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi apm=power-off nomce"

default=FROMISO

image=/mnt/hda2/boot/vmlinuz
label=FROMISO
initrd=/mnt/hda2/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
read-only
root=/dev/hda2
append="lang=us splash wheelmouse xvrefresh=60 bootfrom=/dev/hda2/knx4.0*.iso myconfig=/dev/hda2"