PDA

View Full Version : Adjust permissions in .cmg-file

tomvollerthun
10-02-2005, 04:33 PM
I'm testing klik on a gentoo-box and it works like a charm in the few cases I've tested yet - except for gimp:
After mounting the image, /tmp/app/1 permissions were set to 700 and the owner was the user with ID 1000 who doesn't exist on my system (root had no problem to use the application btw).

In order to fix this, I tried to remount the image rw, but that failed even after setting the permission of gimp_2.0.6.cmg to 777.
The error message was always that the filesystem would be mounted read-only despite what I wanted.

Though I left a small message on the website with the gimp-download to give the developer a chance fix this, I'd rather know how to fix this myself, because I think it's better to give a step-by-step explanation how to fix a problem than just telling the developer to fix it.

cu, tom

probono
10-02-2005, 06:22 PM
Permissions fixed :D

tomvollerthun
10-03-2005, 04:49 PM
Permissions fixed :D
Thank you very much, but would it have been possible for me to do it, too?
(So you'd have the hands free p.e. for more important stuff.)

By the way: nice work, I really like it.

What I really miss is more in-depth-information:
How does klik decide which libraries are present and which must be downloaded?
Why does it tell me about .deb-files, when downloading (as f as I know, my system has nothing installed to handle deb.)?
How could I prevent klik to download the freetype-libraries, if I have them installed? Something to signal klik that everything's in it's proper place..

I'm sure there's much more questions that are not only for me interesting. Perhaps some kind of wiki could be useful to include users into that work, so you developers wouldn't have that much more work than you already have.

cu, tom

probono
10-06-2005, 11:10 AM
klik assumes that a least common detominator of libraries and applications is present on all base systems, and downloads the rest, e.g., from debian repositories. klik 'translates\ .rpm, .deb, and .tgz into .cmg files that are designed in a way that makes them as portable as possible, so that they run not only on your specific system, but also on many others.

Greetings,
probono