PDA

View Full Version : Broadcom 440X network hardware not detected by knoppix 3.6

gstyle
10-03-2005, 11:27 PM
I have HP Laptop and i used knoppix 3.6 virtual CD.All works fine,sound an video detected but my network was down.the laptop has a Broadcom 440X network adapter. Pls help me..TKS

GeneralMandible
03-21-2006, 06:31 PM
I have the same problem with a Gateway MX 6030. Knoppix won't detect the Broadcom 440x ethernet or the 802.11g wireless card. Is there a way to manually detect it and load drivers? or do you need to make a custome disk with the drivers built into it?

GeneralMandible
03-21-2006, 06:50 PM
Ok, I found this possible solution on the Knoppix STD forum. I'll have to give it a try and let you know for sure.

I had the same problem, but fortunately knoppix includes the sources for the kernel, and the standard tools for Makefile's. So you can download the drivers source from
http://www.broadcom.com/support/etherne … rivers.php
store them in a floppy or USB drive, start K-STD, unpack, and write 'make' in the src directory. Note that 'make install' will fail because /lib/modules is read-only, but you can 'insmod bcm4400.o' anyway, and then menu-> internet-> connect-> netcard config will work.
I think this should work for any unsupported hardware, despite some comments in other posts suggesting that issues with unsupported hardware can only be solved by doing hard disk install.

UnderScore
03-21-2006, 07:06 PM
What version of knoppix are you using? The user "gstyle" used versio 3.6 which is over 18 months old. Knoppix 4.0.2 is about 5 months old and version 5.0 pulic release should be out within 1-2 months.

GeneralMandible
03-21-2006, 10:44 PM
I downloaded the 4.0.2 and everything works. I was using the Knoppix STD. I'm guessing it's based off an older distro or does not have as many drivers.

Thanks for the help! :)