PDA

View Full Version : Loading NTFS partition from normal user

morder
04-26-2003, 09:50 AM
I'm having problems mounting my NTFS partition, I only manage to do it logged on as root. I would like access to that partition from my normal user at the KDE desktop, one click. Cannot find anything about it. Anyone know?

Henk Poley
04-26-2003, 04:26 PM
I'm having problems mounting my NTFS partition, I only manage to do it logged on as root. I would like access to that partition from my normal user at the KDE desktop, one click. Cannot find anything about it. Anyone know?
Add a user statement to the partition in your /etc/fstab, like this:

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win ntfs noauto,user,exec 0 0
will mount /dev/hda1 at /mnt/win as NTFS partition. Replacing 'noauto' with 'auto' will automaticaly boot the partition at boottime. For explanation of syntax in fstab try "man fstab".

btw, could the bootscript create a human readable fstab? All these unaligned columns make you dizzy...

kamenoko
05-01-2003, 08:21 AM
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0

where:
/dev/hda1 is your ntfs partition
/mnt/hda1 is the mount point of said partition
ntfs is the partition type
noauto,users,exec,ro are necessary options

this is the really important part

uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix replace knoppix with your own username. if your username was bill, it would be: uid=bill,gid=bill

the 0 0 are options i'm not familiar with, but are necessary.

a warning: as of kernal 2.4.20 (the kernal knoppix installs) ntfs support is there, but writing to the partition can harm it, so don't.

i tore my hair over this myself until i checked a backup copy of fstab and found an entry where I only had to replace 'knoppix' with my username.

hope this helps!

*edit* can't spell, never could, especially at 4:20am