PDA

View Full Version : help me mount harddrive & floppy so i can save files in

animnakambing
10-04-2005, 09:49 AM
have just started with a knoppix 3.9. i love it. but i need to be able to save files written in open office into my harddisk and floppy. can someone give me a detailed step by step on how to do it.

would appreciate it. am trying to encourage my coworkers to shift to opensource. they're watching me fumble right now. ",

rwcitek
10-05-2005, 12:00 AM
have just started with a knoppix 3.9. i love it. but i need to be able to save files written in open office into my harddisk and floppy. can someone give me a detailed step by step on how to do it.
Welcome to Knoppix.net.

For the floppy, you should just be able to save files to /mnt/floppy/your_file_here.txt if the floppy is pre-formatted. In fact, the floppy disk icon should appear on your desktop. Here's what I did:

1) insert floppy
2) click on floppy icon on desktop
3) right click in right pane
4) select "Create New > File > Text File"
5) entered foo.txt for a file name

If it is not pre-formatted, right click on the floppy icon, select "Actions > Format Floppy Disk", then click on "Format", then "Continue", then "Quit" Now you should be able to do the steps above.

The harddrive may be a different issue if it does not have a FAT or linux partition on it. That's because, although Linux can read an NTFS filesystem, it cannot write to one. What operating system is on the harddrive?

What have you tried so far?

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org

animnakambing
10-06-2005, 03:58 AM
i tried it, just as you said, Robert. ",

am having my office and home pc migrated to linux. am just wondering about my pc games, like diablo 2 and hitman. will they play in linux? are there "emulator" programs out there for such games?

rwcitek
10-06-2005, 12:58 PM
i tried it, just as you said, Robert. ",
What did you do to get it to work?

am having my office and home pc migrated to linux. am just wondering about my pc games, like diablo 2 and hitman. will they play in linux? are there "emulator" programs out there for such games?
I did a Google search for "diablo II linux" and came across this link (http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Diablo_II) which says that Diablo II will run just fine under Linux with WINE, an MS Windows API for Linux.

Give it a try and please let us know how it goes.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org

animnakambing
10-07-2005, 06:24 AM
i reformatted the floppy and openned it via konqueror and then rightclicked for a new file and started saving there.

will try out that wine thing. thanks for everthying. ",

Cuddles
10-07-2005, 05:06 PM
animnakambing,

First thing, as OpenSource already said... Welcome to the Wonderful World of Knoppix / Linux :D

Secondly, congratulations, especially on the topic of getting the company to see, that, they could save hundereds, on the shift to an Open Source / GPL / GNU Linux, over the alrernative...

Third, as OpenSource already pointed out, WINE ( Windows Is Not Emulated ), can handle a lot of "windows" programs, of the ones IT CANT handle, mostly, games, especially, DirectX driven games, WINE is not able to do these very well... BUT, Linux has a alternative for those games as well... A "faction" of OpenSource has been created, a kind of "niche", for just these kinds of situations...

Its called Cedega - and the TransGamers Organization... Used to be, before, they decided they could make, even this small of a profit, at this, the program was called WineX... It is a variation of WINE, but, it includes the "proprietary" drivers / modules, for DirectX games... If WINE cant run the game you are trying to play, hit up, or do a search for... "transgamers" or "cedega" -=- either within these forums, or, do a Google Search for it... Cedega provides a long list of supported games, and the list grows longer every day...

Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles

EDIT:
Also, check out the Forum "Games", here on Knoppix.net, as well :D
END EDIT