PDA

View Full Version : Problem coustomizing localized kde

naive
10-04-2005, 04:25 PM
i m trying to remaster knoppix on my 3.0 P IV with one Gb of ram

what i ve already done..

i copied the structure of knoppix cd on my hardisk
i uninstalled unwanted packages
i ve downloaded localized version of kde and ve placed it in /var/cache/apt/archives
i ve installed that package using dpkg

is this the way to go?

what i wanna do..
now what should i do to make that kde package work
i wanna install some local fonts how?
i tried installing synaptic using dpkg but it gave me dependency error

how should i proceed?

thanx in advance
regards

naive123
10-04-2005, 04:42 PM
hey naive

just ur brother trying to do some what same but want to create my own regional language supprts also

we in the same boat

tr
10-07-2005, 08:47 PM
i ve downloaded localized version of kde and ve placed it in /var/cache/apt/archives
i ve installed that package using dpkg

is this the way to go?

I suggest to use apt-get:

apt-get update
apt-get install package_you_want

This downloads every additional package having dependencies to the package you want to install.
You can also search packages by apt-cache search letters_of_package. Try e.g 'apt-cache search xfonts' - you see how this works :)

what i wanna do..
now what should i do to make that kde package work
i wanna install some local fonts how?
i tried installing synaptic using dpkg but it gave me dependency error

how should i proceed?

Using apt-get takes care of dependies - so you have no need to download packages one by one and install with dpkg.

Dependency problems can also be caused because of some packages containing files of the same name. You can bypass there messages safely by adding in /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg a new line:

force-overwrite
You can overwrite these files safely.

Adding local fonts..
K menu -> Control Center -> System Adninistration -> Font Installer -> Add Fonts

-tapsa-

knopx4me
10-08-2005, 08:16 AM
Well said tr, but I recommend against putting this line in /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg:
force-overwrite

This may make dpkg and apt-get overwrite important files and make the system unstable. I recommend making it manually by:
dpkg -i --force-all package_name
after making sure that this will not impact the system.

Moreover, if you install a pakage and complains of depandancies do the following:
apt-get install -f
This will bring and install all needed packages for you or deletes that package if the required packages can not be obtaiend.

Question: Did you start X in the chroored environment? If yes, try using synaptic after resolving its dependancies to install other packages. It is an excellent tool.