PDA

View Full Version : KDM stops can not log on

siggy
10-04-2005, 11:17 PM
:twisted:
After installing to hdb and then doing update and then upgrade using Package Manager, KDM gets to "Installing peripherals" stops and the log on screen comes back. Keep going though this nonsense until I get tired of it. No wonder Linux is not popular, you need to be a geek to use it. Have installed, reinstalled versions 4.0 and 4.0.2, three times same results! Linux is not for the common user. :twisted:

chris-harry
10-04-2005, 11:32 PM
wheni updated me knoppix, it didnt work... :( i really dont know why, just dont update it... here are some other things

apt-get install gdm

apt-get install kde3
or if you want
apt-get install gnome

to get to these, well... login through a terminal... <--its like a dos thing, but better...

these should download the newest stable packages and install them... if not, just remove them and reinstall them... :D:D see that wasnt so easy...

Harry Kuhman
10-04-2005, 11:33 PM
No wonder Linux is not popular, you need to be a geek to use it. .... Linux is not for the common user.
Perhaps installing a distro of Linux that is actually intended to be installed to hard disk would make more sense.

For those who insist on installing Knoppix (intended as a Live CD) and have enough technical savy to work out the problems that will occur when you try to install it to a hard disk, good for them.

But for those who ignore the advice that Knoppix is a live CD and not really intended for installing to a hard disk (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=87187#87187), do so anyway, and then bash all of Linux because they were not able to make it work: I have no respect for you and your put down of Linux is shameful and cowardly. Linux certainly has it's problems, but a failure to install a Live CD that was never intended for install to hard disk is certainly not one of them.

siggy
10-05-2005, 12:30 AM
No wonder Linux is not popular, you need to be a geek to use it. .... Linux is not for the common user.
Perhaps installing a distro of Linux that is actually intended to be installed to hard disk would make more sense.
them.
Was able to install to hard disk on version 3.9, however download version 3.9 again and the same thing happens with upgrade and update, NO LOG IN! :(

siggy
10-05-2005, 12:35 AM
wheni updated me knoppix, it didnt work... :( i really dont know why, just dont update it... here are some other things

apt-get install gdm

apt-get install kde3
or if you want
apt-get install gnome
Tried apt-get indstall gdm, a bunch of files installed? Still unable to log on after. Tried apt-get install kde3, get E: no such package. Tried apt-get install kdm, bunch of files installed? Still unable to log on. I do not care for the gnome GUI :(

Harry Kuhman
10-05-2005, 12:40 AM
Was able to install to hard disk on version 3.9, however download version 3.9 again and the same thing happens with upgrade an update, NO LOG IN! :(
Well, duh! Knoppix is well known to be made of several different versions of Debain and upgrading and updating, as well as just trying to install something else, often breaks it. These warnings have been all over this site and this wasn't your first post, so it's very likely that you had seen these warnings or at least should have if you were paying attention.

chris-harry
10-05-2005, 11:22 PM
go over to www.debian.com and get the debian cd... i use debian, its hardish, but its still fun... you can install it strait from the internet with the use of a couple of boot floppies and an apt-get... i did this with me laptop... it works really well... or you can go over to Ubuntu www.ubuntulinux.org/, right now they are giving away free cds... so you dont need to download them... Ubuntu is really linux for those who are new to it... aka newbies... no offence... i am going to try that distro (once me cd gets to me...)

siggy
10-05-2005, 11:47 PM
go over to www.debian.com and get the debian cd... i use debian, its hardish, but its still fun... you can install it strait from the internet with the use of a couple of boot floppies and an apt-get... i did this with me laptop... it works really well... or you can go over to Ubuntu www.ubuntulinux.org/, right now they are giving away free cds... so you dont need to download them... Ubuntu is really linux for those who are new to it... aka newbies... no offence... i am going to try that distro (once me cd gets to me...)

Yep,

Had Debian once and did the net install, took a long time even with a cable connection. Downloaded the net install iso again and will load it tomorrow. Tried UBuntu but could not find any amateur radio programs with it. Debian has a bunch of amateur radio programs one can install. And for kicks download the kubuntu iso as I prefer KDE GUI.

Harry Kuhman
10-06-2005, 12:01 AM
Downloaded the net install iso again and will load it tomorrow.
I'm not crazy about the net install CD (although it's been a while since I tried it). I've used the first CD only of the install from CD set (everything else can be downloaded from the Internet just fine) and it works great. The CD downloaded fast (http://www.debian.org/CD/torrent-cd/) (with BitTorrent) and makes for a great install. I like it a lot more than trying to instal "over the Internet" because there is less wait between questions and after the install I still have the CD, so I don't have to waste time and bandwidth downloading everything again if I want to install on another system or just reinstall a few times until the system is exactly what I want.

siggy
10-06-2005, 12:21 AM
Downloaded the net install iso again and will load it tomorrow.
I'm not crazy about the net install CD (although it's been a while since I tried it). I've used the first CD only of the install from CD set (everything else can be downloaded from the Internet just fine) and it works great. The CD downloaded fast (http://www.debian.org/CD/torrent-cd/) (with BitTorrent) and makes for a great install. I like it a lot more than trying to instal "over the Internet" because there is less wait between questions and after the install I still have the CD, so I don't have to waste time and bandwidth downloading everything again if I want to install on another system or just reinstall a few times until the system is exactly what I want.

Really doesn't matter, I have more time than money, retired, no wheels so downloading off the net is not a big deal. Tomorrow is "clean the apartment day". HRA likes to pull surprise apatment inspections and can't let the crud get to deep. :shock: I'll keep an "eye" open for install file questions while installing and cleaning.

A. Jorge Garcia
10-08-2005, 01:03 AM
OK, I'm no linux guru, but I'm no KNOPPIX NOOB either. So, don't get upset when I post the following query:

I maintain a Linux Lab for my AP Computer Science students. Over the past several years, I've had occasion to install all versions of KNOPPIX to hdd from 3.2 with knx-hdinstall to 3.8.1 with knoppix-installer a LAN of 25 PCs. I never had to install 3.9 to hdd until today. And, I have to say that I have never encountered such a knoppix-installer nighmare before!

First, I had lots of read errors on my cdd's which has happened only rarely. I suppose it could be bad media or bad drives. So, I can't even boot the KNOPPIX CD on those stations (2Pcs down, 23 to go).

However, this LAN was reinstalled just a few years ago with all new hadware (fast ethernet, PIV PCs with 750MB RAM and 40GB hdds = Dell GX270s). Further, I don't usually have media problems. I always use Memorex 700MB data CDRs without a problem. BTW, I check my ISO downloads with md5sums and burns CDs with the
knoppix testcd cheat code.

Second, I had several errors when using qtparted to resize the XP partitions before running knoppix-installer which never happened before. I guess it could be over-used hdds. So I can't install anything on those stations (6 more PCs down, 17 to go). Please note that this is not an NTFS issue. All XP installs were done on VFAT32 to begin with.

BTW, my partitions, where qtparted worked, are hda1=35MB WIMPdoze rescue partition which I didn't touch, hda2=20GB WIMxP partition which I had resized from 40GB, hda3=19GB ext3 partition for the hdd install and hda4=178MB (that's all that's left) linuxswap partition created from the new space after resizing.

Third, I had several PCs stop, during the knoppix-installer step where it copies files to my new ext3 partitions, at about 96% which has happened only rarely. In the past several years, I only recall this happening a few times but I could simply retry knoppix-installer and all was fine - not this time! So the install is incomplete on those stations (2 more PCs down, 15 to go).

Fourth, I didn't realize lilo was gone to be replaced by grub which clearly never happened before! It took me a little while to figure out I had to edit
/boot/grub/menu.lst to get my dual-boot hdd installs to default to an XP boot. Sorry, don't flame me, I have to do this to coexist with the other teachers at my school....

Fifth, netcardconfig didn't work for autoconfiguring my DHCP network on any of the 15 remaining PCs which never happened before. However,
pump -i eth0 fixed that problem!

Lastly, but not least, to add insult to injury, when a user logs-in with KDM on the 15 installed PCs, the KDE boot screen gets stuck at the second icon and just hangs the whole PC which never happened before! On a few PCs, the KDE boot screen does actually finish after 10-20 minutes!

What the heck can I do about this latest error??? I have no more hairs to pull out, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!

TIA,
AJG