PDA

View Full Version : Multi-drive mounting... what directory do most use?

defiance
10-05-2005, 02:05 PM
Currently I'm setting up my first install... I tried initially just putting it after my XP install (no way I can get rid of windoze, I have some corp software I have to use for work), but due to the 1024 cylinder limit all I got was a grub error. So, I've since put a 3-gig gap between the beginning of the hard drive and the beginning of the windoze partition, and I've got it booting both ways now. Only one problem... Now, I have two linux partitions - a 3-gigger to boot from and a 70-gigger at the end of the drive.

So, I'm trying to figure out where would be the best location to mount it. Having never really used linux, I don't really have any idea where the HD space tends to go... I thought at first about just copying all my 'home' data onto it and mounting it to home.. but wouldn't bin take up a lot of space too?

What's recommended?

defiance
10-05-2005, 02:13 PM
Guess I should clarify, that's multiple "partition" mounting - one drive :)

chris-harry
10-05-2005, 11:27 PM
i had the 1024 cylinder problem with me old computer... but to solve it, i only had a 10mb partition... and i set it to boot... (but i only had a 4 Gb harddrive)

you can do many things, but in the end... its up to you (oh great help aint i).. you can actually have one partition set as the /home, thats really great... the home is the equivilent as a my documents... so its like saving all you documents on a different hard drive (except its a diffferent partition).

how big is your hard drive all up, and all the partitions?

defiance
10-06-2005, 12:57 PM
160-gig hd total

3-gig linux boot partition
75-gig Windoze partition
2-gig linux swap partition
75-gig linux extra partition

Those are approximates anyway :)

The 1024th cylinder is around the 8-gig or 9-gig point of the hard drive.

Right now the 75-gig partition at the end is not really being used... I know when I really get to know Linux I'm going to be using it a lot, so I'd like to figure out where to put this drive so that I won't have issues. Just not sure where that would be :P

From reading your post, I could put everyting on the bit one, then just have the little up-front drive handle the boot directory?
Can that be done after install, or is that going to require a fresh install? hm... I guess I could just cp / /mnt/sda4 -R from a root shell to copy everything, then cp /root/ / -R. But I wouldn't have a clue how to set it up to boot with sda4 as the main drive and sda1 as the boot directory... Sorry, I'm pretty new with Linux :)