PDA

View Full Version : Succesfull reinstall, but already borked...

Henk Poley
04-26-2003, 04:11 PM
Just got my Linux install working again. Moved my /home to another partition and hdinstalled Knoppix3.2-april-15. But it's already borked now after two reboots. I've some very wierd problem, at least ls is foobar-ed ("bash: /bin/ls: unknown file or directory
"). And I, nor root, can graphicly login.

I suspect it's because of apt-get downloading from linuxppc.org, PPC is not intel... But I'm not sure if they don't also host the i386 debs. How can you check a linux binary for processor type?

Anybody?

elmo
04-27-2003, 07:14 PM
Hi there,

have you checked /etc/apt/sources.list - it should show wether or not you download from the ppc repository. as far as i know the different repositories are seperate so if you change the sources.list file accordingly ...

Stephen
04-27-2003, 07:50 PM
I suspect it's because of apt-get downloading from linuxppc.org, PPC is not intel... But I'm not sure if they don't also host the i386 debs. How can you check a linux binary for processor type?

Anybody?

It usually has an i386, i586, etc.. in the package name. I installed the same version (04-15) yesterday and have had no problems so far although X takes at least a minute to load. I just checked the line in the sources.list and it gets the packages from /sid/i386.