PDA

View Full Version : Firefox doesn't autorun

sassi67
10-05-2005, 02:25 PM
I have already searched in these forums for my problem(s), but the solutions, I found, don't work.
My situation is this:
I have a Knoppix 3.9 HD install. Making an intensive use of "apt --purge remove" I have now a "small Knoppix".
I have modified /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig substituting DESKTOP="kde" with DESKTOP="fluxbox" in order to unistall kde and use Fluxbox as window manager.
I would like to start Firefox when XFree starts: I copied /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc in /home/knoppix/.xinitrc and added the line "firefox". Rebooting XFree nothing happens. Any suggestion?
I also need to start a non-X program at system boot (a web server): how can I do?
At the end I need to start a non-X program under a "rxvt session" (so I can see what happens on the screen) at system boot: how can I do?
I'm a "almost-newbie" in Linux.
Thanks in advance.

maxIT
10-05-2005, 04:54 PM
Hi sassi67,

do you want to run an app when XFree starts or when Fluxbox starts? If it's the second instance maybe you need to create an apps file in ~/.fluxbox/ directory and put in it the app you want to run, following the suggest as in this link http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/docs/en/faq-dev.php#startup

bye, max

sassi67
10-06-2005, 08:08 AM
Works!
I have created the file ~/.fluxbox/apps and added these lines:

[startup] {firefox}
[startup] {rxvt ...}

restart Fluxbox and voilą...

For the non-X apps I think I'll read something about daemons management under Knoppix, do I?
Thank you, maxIT

:D

maxIT
10-06-2005, 02:59 PM
For the non-X apps I think I'll read something about daemons management under Knoppix, do I?...

or maybe something about in wich directories linux/debian look for start up scripts, maybe /etc/init.d or so...

regards, max

sassi67
10-11-2005, 12:39 PM
I discover that I can put my non-X apps in /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig: they start. :!: