PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recommend modem + soundcard Knoppix 4.02 will detect?

drakegta
10-05-2005, 09:23 PM
I’m not one to ask for help, but I’ve spent the last 16 hours trying different Linux builds on my Dell 4700. Long story short, the only things they didn’t like were my Modem and my onboard sound.

I found many useful threads here on making winmodems work, but nothing they suggested made my worked for my modem. I couldn’t get any drivers to work with my modem (which is a typical Conexant HSF winmodem) and the knoppix 4.02 winmodem compatibility thing didn’t work either. I see several modems on ebay that say they work with Linux (example (http://cgi.ebay.com/3COM-V92-3CP5610A-Hardware-Perf-Pro-Modem-Linux-or-Win_W0QQitemZ6807580224QQcategoryZ44940QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)), but I was just wondering if someone knew which ones Knoppix liked best.

I decided I was going to build a new system from scratch, but then I realized, all I need is a modem and a Sound Card that will work with Knoppix/Debian.

I cannot get any kind of highspeed connection where I live (out in the boon docks) so I’m stuck with a dial up. Thanks for the help in advance. I wouldn’t ask, but I’ve heard that Knoppix don’t like some sound blaster cards and I’ve noticed that even US Robotics is making some winmodems now, and just wanted to get some advice before I waste money on cards that won’t work. Thanks again.

CytoTech
10-06-2005, 04:55 AM
i'd suggest try external usb/serial 56k modems. however i don't know which ones are knoppix-compatible. i also have a winmodem on my home pc and knoppix 4.02 detects it, but cannot write the .conf file (forgot which .conf it is). i installed knoppix on another partition, but still the same problem. i hope someone can give us some inspiration about this. about the soundcard, my pci soundcard works fine for most linux distros (except solaris). :)

drakegta
10-06-2005, 05:03 AM
I bought a USB modem a while back, no luck. I think I'll just buy that one that I linked to, if it don't work, I'm only out $20. Thanks.

tdjokic
10-06-2005, 06:09 AM
Any EXTERNAL, SERIAL modem, or limited number of USB modems - one example: http://www.smlink.com/content.aspx?id=132 :

"Linux drivers
Driver name: slmodem-2.9.10.tar.gz
Version: 2.9.10
Linux Kernel supported: 2.4, 2.6
Smart link products supported:

* Riser: HAMR5600, SmartRiser56, SmartRiser561 - CNR/ACR/MDC/MiniPCI
* PCI: SmartPCI56, SmartPCI561, SmartPCI562, SmartPCI563, SmartLAN56
* USB: SmartUSB56

The file contains the installation instructions.
Installation instruction can be viewed also here"

Knoppix doesn't support any winmodem "out of the box". You need drivers for them. There are distribution that does support some winmodems out of the box: Mepis (Lucent, SmartLink, maybe Intel536, not sure), Kanotix (you need to do a simple command though). There are some hardware USB modems, but I am not familiar with this.

sakiZ
10-06-2005, 05:50 PM
I use an external serial modem from Best Data. Just about any should work.

Sound card: Sound Blaster Live

sakiZ

adkmom
11-21-2005, 08:55 PM
Hi-

I have "on-board"- but it's a separate little set up that takes a PCI opening on the case (but not a slot).

It's C-Media & has worked with every version of Knoppix.

Tracy