PDA

View Full Version : IDE-RAID controller

Dohmann
12-28-2002, 10:08 PM
Does anybody know, if the standard kernel used by knoppix does support an IDE-RAID controller? I use the HPT370 and would like to access my raid.

01-03-2003, 05:37 AM
I using HPT374, same problem as yours!

Spider.007
02-01-2003, 10:37 PM
I have a hightpoint controller onboard; and inserting de knoppix cd results in a pinguin and a cursor; that's all I get :(

Bright_Sky
02-04-2003, 09:27 AM
First of all : I'm a total newbie to Linux-Knoppix.

I have a similar error to yours.

My board has a HPT370A Raid controller. I have connected a hard drive as primary master at the primary raid channel. After booting from the CD, Knoppix freezes at this point:
"Uncompressing Linux... done. Boorting the kernel" (if I remember correctly). After that - nothing.

If I use the "failsafe" mode, the kernel began to boot, but freezes after displaying the drives mounted (hda, hdb, and their IRQ-s, sorry I don't know the exact boot sequence of Linux)

"Nodma", "Noscsi" - they are not working too. :((

If I don't have any hard drive connected, the OS works correctly, and I like it very much!
I use the 2003-01-20 release of Knoppix.

And, I have a very similar thing when I use the "Live-Evaluation" version of the 8.0 SuSE.

I have only one workaround presently: if I use the standard IDE controllers on the board, then there are no more problems - but I want to use my precioussssssss (thx Gollam) RAID controller!

Thanks everyone...!

Spider.007
03-02-2003, 03:50 PM
Does anyone know if the opensource driver (http://www.highpoint-tech.com/372drivers_down.htm)highpoint has created will be implemented soon in Knoppix? I've heard some rumors (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/19831) that it will be included in the kernel 2.4.18... Can anyone confirm this :?:

ironstorm
03-05-2003, 08:05 AM
VP6 is HPT370 ( I was using the YT bios with no mods )
http://www.northern.ca/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=17

rec9140
03-05-2003, 07:06 PM
Does anybody know, if the standard kernel used by knoppix does support an IDE-RAID controller? I use the HPT370 and would like to access my raid.

I have a Abit KT7 MB w/HPT370 RAID controller on it.

I tested running Knoppix on this, set up as follows:

IDE Ch. 1 Master LG Electronics 4120B DVD/RW

RAID Ch. 1 Master Samsung 40GB HD
RAID Ch. 2 Master Creative IR CD-ROM 5222

This is is a NON RAID setup,NO RAID 0, 1, or 0+1, just a single HD, and the CD-ROM on the RAID IDE channels.

I am able to boot and play with the CD. Actually proves that wimpdoze is the problem when using the KT7 and a Creative Soundblaster Live sound card. Under wimpdoze there are driver issues which cause sound glitches on WAV, MP3. Using Knoppix, it plays WAV, OOG, MP3 just FINE! That convinced me to put Knoppix on my old machine, and will eventually dump wimpdoze.

Since I will in the future be looking to use the RAID features in probably RAID 1 mode. Soon as some of those 100+GB drives come down in price.

Keep us advised on any progress you make.

holzhey
03-10-2003, 03:48 PM
Das Plugscript configuration system für KNOPPIX unterstützt IDE RAID controller.

Es lohnt sich, mal vorbeizuschauen unter
rcswww.urz.tu-dresden.de/~holzhey/plugscript

Alles ist noch 'work in progress' aber IDE-RAID (Promise und theoretisch auch Highpoint) sollten bereits funktionieren.

Rückfragen bitte per mail an mich.

Andre'