PDA

View Full Version : Can I use Knoppix to add and/or remove a kernel module of an

Virgilinux
10-07-2005, 09:29 PM
Can I use Knoppix to add and/or remove a kernel module of an EXISTING (installed) Kernel?

If yes, how?

For background, I am installing Sarge (debian stable) on an HP laptop. The debian installer installs the "wrong" sound module during the first stage of the installation. This blocks the installed kernel from booting to complete the second stage of the installation.

Basically, it is a known bug, which has not been corrected.
See: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=298623

Presumably, the problem is caused by a sound module: i810_audio.ko . The workaround is to install the ALSA (snd_intel8x0) module ((which would among other things 'blacklist' the OSS modules).

Sounds simple enough... until one tries to do it. The problem is that the bug strikes in the boot up after stage 1, before stage2 even starts. So, the options are quite limited.

I have already tried a number of things, going through "expert" installation, trying to use the debian installer as a rescue CD, getting into a console, etc. But nothing has worked. So, perhaps Knoppix may allow me to add and/or substract the appropiate kernel modules.

Thanks in advance.

Virgil

Dave_Bechtel
10-08-2005, 10:00 PM
You have to delete the kernel module on-disk, or rename it.

1. Boot Knoppix
2. Mount your root partition ' mount /mnt/hdXX '
3. CD to the lib/modules directory there:
' cd /mnt/hdXX/lib/modules/2*/kernel/drivers '

4. ' find . -name i810_audio.ko ' == This tells you where the file is under this dir
5. CD to that dir, and ' rm ' the file or rename it with ' mv '. Reboot.

Can I use Knoppix to add and/or remove a kernel module of an EXISTING (installed) Kernel?

If yes, how?

For background, I am installing Sarge (debian stable) on an HP laptop. The debian installer installs the "wrong" sound module during the first stage of the installation. This blocks the installed kernel from booting to complete the second stage of the installation.

Basically, it is a known bug, which has not been corrected.
See: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=298623

Presumably, the problem is caused by a sound module: i810_audio.ko . The workaround is to install the ALSA (snd_intel8x0) module ((which would among other things 'blacklist' the OSS modules).

Sounds simple enough... until one tries to do it. The problem is that the bug strikes in the boot up after stage 1, before stage2 even starts. So, the options are quite limited.

I have already tried a number of things, going through "expert" installation, trying to use the debian installer as a rescue CD, getting into a console, etc. But nothing has worked. So, perhaps Knoppix may allow me to add and/or substract the appropiate kernel modules.

Thanks in advance.

Virgil

Markus
10-08-2005, 10:07 PM
Have you tried booting with the alsa=intel8x0 kernel parameter?

Virgilinux
10-09-2005, 03:01 PM
Thank you both.

It turns out the problem went way after I installed the alsa-base package, with apt-get.

Still, wasn't as simple as it could have been, because the debian installer does not configure apt during the first stage, and apparently alsa-base in not included in disk-1. So, one has to configure apt to reach a debian site over the net, and apt-get the package.

Nevertheless, I am still getting some strage messages during boot off, and may have to do more work on this problem.

Among other things, the verison of the kernel 2.6 that comes with debian would not run on my system. Interestingly, knoppix (as well as ubuntu) run without problems, and without special boot options. Why can't debian do the same is a mystery to me. Presumably, the debian installer is less "friendly" to be able to support more systems... seems to be back-firing when it comes to laptops.