PDA

View Full Version : ADSL modem unable test-drive Knoppix LiveCD 4.0.2

newfellow
10-08-2005, 02:49 AM
[[UPDATE PAST MIDNIGHT 31 OCT 2005

Finally got ADSL pppoe connection working in Brazil but it took a disproportionate amount of trial and error chasing odd tips from all over the place.
As a layman, seems to me DHCP was setting an IP address in Ethernet card eth0 when this and network mask should be blank as DLink DSL-500G modem is a bridge device, not a router to telco portal. Anyway, after doing the ADSL/PPPOE Configuration I typed ifconfig as root.

In ppp0 I found the telco inet addr: below

ppp0 Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
inet addr:200.165.217.131 P-t-P:200.217.72.8 Mask:255.255.255.255

which I grabbed to type as root

route add default gw 200.165.217.131

then pinged. All sending-receiving fine in this ping, so fired up browser and was off to the races to log in to ISP.

Can't believe serious users go through this rigmarole as I'll have to change the ppp0 telco inet addr: every time I connect this dynamic IP using Knoppix 4.0.2 Live CD, but I'd pledged to get connected with Knoppix before the end of the month and made it with ten minutes to spare (local time).

Dave]]

Test-driving Knoppix 4.0.2 LiveCD pulling hair out attempting connect HP Pavilion notebook (flawless with WinXP SP2 HE) to Internet via RJ-45, sole connection to D-Link DSL-500G Router (nothing else connected).
Strange, no difficulty connecting this notebook online with Ubuntu 5.10 LiveCD preview - a reboot from Windows XP merely typing username and password after issuing sudo pppoeconf command puts me online with Ubuntu Breezy Badger.
I like the fast loading and general superb look and feel of Knoppix LiveCD, so would like to get this working online.

Here's what WinXP command prompt ipconf reveals with WinXP connected before re-booting from Knoppix LiveCD:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection
Connection-specific DNS Suffix
IP Address 10.1.1.3
Subnet Mask 255.0.0.0
Default Gateway 10.1.1.1

PPP Adapter MyISPsname
Connection-specific DNS Suffix
IP Address 200.141.121.209
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway 200.141.121.209

Unable to get sudo pppoeconf or DHCP Broadcast to work in Knoppix netcardconfig I reply No to DHCP Broadcast and face a barrage of five values to answer. Can a kind soul tell me what octet to put in each netcardconfig box, please,

Please enter IP Address for eth0
Please enter Network Mask for eth0
Please enter Broadcast Address for eth0
Please enter Default Gateway
Please enter Name Server

plus any other tips to get Knoppix LiveCD online with ADSL.

Thanks for helping this Linux newbie.

Dave

Harry Kuhman
10-08-2005, 04:24 AM
Test-driving Knoppix 4.0.2 LiveCD pulling hair out attempting connect HP Pavilion notebook (flawless with WinXP SP2 HE) to Internet via RJ-45, sole connection to D-Link DSL-500G Router
This is pretty strange. You shouldn't need to use pppoeconfig at all (the router should be taking care of pppoe for you; you don't run any pppoe software on Windows, do you?) The router should set up the connection by DHCP for you.

I've used Knoppix on at least 3 different dlink routers and all set up fine. Haven't used this device though. I have seen one Belkin router that didn't CHCP properly with Knoppix 3.1, so there can be some issues. But I would try to determine what is going wrong here.

Can a kind soul tell me what octet to put in each netcardconfig box, please,

Please enter IP Address for eth0
Please enter Network Mask for eth0
Please enter Broadcast Address for eth0
Please enter Default Gateway
Please enter Name Server
Pretty much you should be able to use what was set up on your XP system. Usually routers tend to use 192.168.xxx.xxx addresses, but yours seems to be handing out addresses in the 10.xxx.xxx.xxx A class private network. So I would suggest

IP Address for eth0: 10.1.1.3 (if that fails try 10.1.1.99)
Network Mask for eth0 255.0.0.0
Broadcast Address for eth0 10.255.255.255
Default Gateway 10.1.1.1
Name Server 200.141.121.209

plus any other tips to get Knoppix LiveCD online with ADSL.
My only other thought is, are you sure that you even have a problem and that you need to do any setup at all? With the Knoppix CD or DVD in any of my systems I just boot the disc and I'm on the Internet. What happens if, after you boot, you plug a URL into the Kooquror browser? What happens if you put the IP address 10.1.1.1. there? Can you ping 10.1.1.1.? Can you ping 216.32.81.146? Can you ping knoppix.net?

newfellow
10-08-2005, 05:34 PM
Harry,

Thanks for your suggestions. Sorry, I've tried all of them but got nowhere.

If type http://10.1.1.1/ in Konqueror address bar get an Authorization Dialog requesting
Site DSL-500G at 10.1.1.1
Username
Password

In Brazil, required to buy DSL service from telco so I insert same username & pwd used by WinXP in above dialog to get to telco portal logon to an ISP we select from drop-down. I never get to the portal because Authentication-KDE Daemon failed. Nonetheless D-Link DSL-500G ADSL Router modem is correctly identified.

If do KNOPPIX Penguin > Network/Internet > Network Card Configuration replying No to Use DHCP Broadcast, inserting all five values and options you indicate and then fire up Konqueror with URL http://10.1.1.1 or telco www. portal Konqueror returns Unknown Host Name message.

ping 10.1.1.1 runs forever off the screen with ping responses and when I killed this terminal I lost its contents.
How does one stop a ping terminal window elegantly?

knoppix@[knoppix]$ping 216.32.81.146 gives a one-line reply
PING 216.32.81.146 (216.32.81.146): 56 data bytes

ping knoppix.net doesn't work for reason presumably have to connect first to telco portal then ISP to get on the Net.

Many thanks again for your effort.

Dave

Harry Kuhman
10-08-2005, 07:55 PM
Dave,

This is very strange. I don't understand what the problem is yet, but I do expect that it can be resolved.

I'm at a complete loss to understand why you get the username/password thing from Konquror (a good sign) but then you indicated that after putting in the values to netcardconfig it no longer worked. This would indicate that something very strange is happening because these values should have been exactly what was already there.

We can gain more information as follows:
Boot the disc.
Try the 10.1.1.1 address in Konquror and confirm that you still get the user/password thing
Open a shell and type ifconfig and note down all of the settings.
Go back to Konquror and try http://216.32.81.146 in the address bar. If there is an error, note what it is.
If it does work, try any URL that you want in the URL window and note what error you get then. If you don't get an error then everything is working.

It sounds like when you did the ping of 216.32.81.146 that you actually got a ping back, but you didn't really say that. The feedback I was expecting was either that the ping got a response or that it timed out. If you got a ping back then that pretty much tests all of your network setup to the Internet except the name server. If ping 216.32.81.146 works but ping knoppix.net doesn't then it is almost certainly a name server setting issue. What I would do in this case: first, recheck that value in Windows and if there is a different value or a number was just recorded wrong, use the value that you find in Windows. Second, try using 10.1.1.1. here and see if the router will pass along the name request for you (it should know the address of the DNS server and many routers will, but I don't know about this model).

By the way, under windows the default for a ping is to run 3 pings then stop. Under Linux it is to keep pinging until you stop it. You can see man ping for details on switches that will change this. To answer your question, when you have ping just looping like you did, a control-Z will stop it.

newfellow
10-09-2005, 03:06 PM
Harry,

Thanks for man ping tip and rest of your counsel but still no luck trying everything you've suggested.

Bearing in mind interest merely test drive Knoppix LiveCD and intrigued no such problem encountered getting online with Ubuntu 5.10 Breezy Badger preview-version LiveCD I've poked around the KURUMIN documentation. A Brazilian distro based on Knoppix, currently in stable version 5.0 used by thousands or millions (?) of locals mostly youngsters, and what stood out was an alert on the KURUMIN introductory download page for anyone with an ADSL connect problem in Brazil.

The KURUMIN alert is to substitute the script in "/usr/sbin/pppoeconf" with this one

http://www.guiadohardware.net/kurumin/scripts/pppoeconf

if difficulty encountered using ADSL with authentication as is my case - where set up with username and password in WindowsXP to establish ADSL connection to telco - using pppoeconf. Again, latter I use as DHCP Broadcast (Backgrounding highlighted blue during boot) won't let me open our telco web portal page in Konqueror/Firefox with Knoppix LiveCD 4.0.2.

KURUMIN then instructs users to type " chmod +x /usr/sbin/pppoeconf" following this script change.

This is over my head at this stage but does indicate a possible KNOPPIX or KURUMIN conflict with ADSL local setup. I may dig deeper into this after burning a KURUMIN ISO and test driving that. Should I get KURUMIN 5.0 up and running as-is, with or without their suggested pppoeconf script substitution, I'll be sure to report this happy fact back to the forum.

Thanks again,
David

Harry Kuhman
10-09-2005, 08:06 PM
The KURUMIN alert is to substitute the script in "/usr/sbin/pppoeconf" with this one .....
David,

For reasons we are not going to get into here, DSL uses an encapsulation technique on the packets sent from a user's location. My system uses PPPoE, although I understand that in Europe some users have to use PPPoA. It's not surprising that in some other locatin there might be some slight difference to the way that these encapsulation protocols are being done that would cause the need for the change that you mentioned above, even if they are still using the name PPPoE to refer to the protocol.

However, when using a router, the router takes care of the encapsulation protocol. In fact, it pretty much has to, since the router basically takes apart the packets that you send it and makes new packets to send to the Internet, changing things like sequence number, reply to port, and IP addresses in the process. So the router sold in any area must know how to make packets that work in that location. The local computers that talk to the router don't need to run PPPoE software any more. They speak normal un-encapsulated packets to the router, which builds the final outbound packets as needed.

I have no idea what is going wrong in your sitiation. Maybe there is something really strange in the protocol that is in use there that would explain it, but I can't even guess at anything that would cause this. It likely will take some work looking through Brazillian websiyes about your style of PPPoE and routers, which I don't have the language skills to do. However, if you wish to keep looking into it and researching Brizillian websites that discuss this, I'll be glad to try to answer any questions that you might have.

newfellow
10-09-2005, 10:20 PM
Harry,

Am pleased to compose this reply in Konqueror courtesy Linux KURUMIN 5.0 first LiveCD session up and running. Keyboard doesn't work properly till can re-configure it to standard U.S. or intl keyboard layout but that is small potatoes. Not even sure I can recall all the KURUMIN steps I took to get to this point!

Clearly your questioning server name resolution was spot on. KURUMIN interactive Internet Connection problem solver for ADSL or cable modem that I found in K Menu opens a root window. A KEdit window opens as you step through after wizard mentions you will probably need to uncomment, then alter and save DNS values for your own telco web portal to log on to your ISP.

This file
etc resolv.conf (sorry, cannot type slash separating these two folders in pathname!)
seems to have been modified by KURUMIN author to list all known ADSL telco name servers in Brazil, commented out with a #. Luckily had found elsewhere two nameserver numbers 200.149.55.140 and 200.202.193.71 So I uncommented, changed the wrong numbers shown for my city ADSL telco, and then saved resolv.conf and quit KEdit.

Fired up Konqueror, typed in web portal and was off and running to log into my ISP to post you this. Here is my ifconfig now

kurumin@kurumin:/ramdisk/home/kurumin$ ifconfig
eth0 Encapsulamento do Link: Ethernet Endereço de HW 00:02:3F:3E:60:5B
endereço inet6: fe80::202:3fff:fe3e:605b/64 Escopo:Link
UP BROADCASTRUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Métrica:1
RX packets:5077 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:5421 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
colisões:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:3454386 (3.2 MiB) TX bytes:786815 (768.3 KiB)
IRQ:11 Endereço de E/S:0xa800

lo Encapsulamento do Link: Loopback Local
inet end.: 127.0.0.1 Masc:255.0.0.0
endereço inet6: ::1/128 Escopo:Máquina
UP LOOPBACKRUNNING MTU:16436 Métrica:1
RX packets:384 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:384 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
colisões:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:28799 (28.1 KiB) TX bytes:28799 (28.1 KiB)

ppp0 Encapsulamento do Link: Protocolo Ponto-a-Ponto
inet end.: 200.165.30.181 P-a-P:200.217.72.8 Masc:255.255.255.255
UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1492 Métrica:1
RX packets:4595 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:4854 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
colisões:0 txqueuelen:3
RX bytes:3318959 (3.1 MiB) TX bytes:637089 (622.1 KiB)

from which I note in eth0 no more of the (external) IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway adressing entries in all those KNOPPIX Live CD 4.0.2 ifconfig outputs accompanying unsuccessful online attempts with KNOPPIX.

As an utter layman with Linux my conclusion is local Brazilian ADSL setups are each private networks controlled by a telco name server that, for some reason, do not respond appropriately to a Linux client using either un-modified (DNS list) KNOPPIX 4.0.2 or KURUMIN 5.0 unless the exact telco name server's address is used. How Ubuntu preview 5.10 edition of LiveCD does this without modifying anything at all is a mystery but I can assure you it does. KNOPPIX needs to do some catch-up on this as clearly my eth0 should never have been set up with any IP Address using ADSL in Brazil.

Believe I mentioned in an earlier post Brazilian law requires broadband users of ADSL to pay for an independent, non-telco ISP to access the Internet regardless of this being superfluous. Doubtless this silly requirement will be repealed within the next few years so I don't know if this DNS issue and solution is too specific to one geographic region for inclusion in a future KNOPPIX release.

In any event, your support and encouragement kept me going. That is, of course, the great strength of Linux. Harry, thank you so much for getting me to the starting gate.

Dave

Harry Kuhman
10-09-2005, 11:18 PM
Dave,

Glad to hear that you have something up and working. Unfortunately, I'm still not following at all what is happening for you. So I just don't yet grasp where the problem is.

from which I note in eth0 no more of the (external) IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway adressing entries in all those KNOPPIX Live CD 4.0.2 ifconfig outputs accompanying unsuccessful online attempts with KNOPPIX.
I'm not clear on what this means. No, a Knoppix system connected to a router should never get what I consider an external IP address, it should always be assigned a private IP address that can not be routed on the Internet. These are usually in the range 192.168.xxx.xxx but there are a couple of other IP address ranges reserved for private use and someone was posting just yesterday about a router that udes the private 10.xxx.xxx.xxx range. Are you saying that you were seeing external (non-private address ranges handed out to your eth0 connection?? Of course, the connection can know about some public addresses, such as the DNS or name server, but that's a completely different issue than being assigned it's own public address.

As an utter layman with Linux my conclusion is local Brazilian ADSL setups are each private networks controlled by a telco name server that, for some reason, do not respond appropriately to a Linux client using either un-modified (DNS list) KNOPPIX 4.0.2 or KURUMIN 5.0 unless the exact telco name server's address is used. How Ubuntu preview 5.10 edition of LiveCD does this without modifying anything at all is a mystery but I can assure you it does. KNOPPIX needs to do some catch-up on this as clearly my eth0 should never have been set up with any IP Address using ADSL in Brazil.
I'm really having a hard time knowing what is going wrong here. Knoppix normally gets it's name server information by DHCP from the router. You can run netcardconfig and choose not to let it do a dhcp setup and manually input the information, but you shouldn't have to. Just as Koppix (or any OS) gets it's setup information by DHCP from the router, the router usually gets it's information on what name server to use frm the ISP. All the routers that I have worked with have a way to see what these settings are in the router and to manually override them and set them to other values (ok, one crappy Dlink 514 I have used doesn't let me change the DNS from the ISP settings when using PPPoE, but that's an exception). You should be able to look at what your settings are in the system that is working (the command is ifconfig) and then see what is different in Knoppix. You should be able to make the change in Knoppix with netcardconfig, but I would also look at the router's DNS/name server value and see what it is using; if it has the "wrong" value in the router table and is giving out the "wrong" value to Knoppix by DHCP then you should just be able to change your router setup so that it hands out the DSN server that you want and any system should start working when booted and setup by DHCP from your router.

.... do not respond appropriately to a Linux client using either un-modified (DNS list) KNOPPIX 4.0.2 or KURUMIN 5.0 unless the exact telco name server's address is used.....
Can you spell out clearly just what you see that in incorrect? What is the exact telco name server's address that you need to use? What is Knoppix using? What does your router say to use in it's table? Can you change the router table to reflect the exact telco name server's address that you want?

newfellow
10-10-2005, 05:28 PM
Harry,

Sorry, gotta move on but here's summary of getting-online to test drive these three LiveCDs:
Ubuntu 5.10 (Breezy Badger) preview, flawless online session after login to telco with ADSL;
KURUMIN 5.0 (Knoppix & Debian), once modified usb/resolv.conf nameservers flawless too;
KNOPPIX 4.0.2 unsuccessful after many attempts - ifconfig shows eth0 values different to KURUMIN.

Please refer to ifconfig output in last post while successfuly online with KURUMIN 5.0 LiveCD.

KNOPPIX adds a new, second line that successful KURUMIN online session ifconfig doesn't show for
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet rest of first line same as KURUMIN
then KNOPPIX inserts this next line that doesn't appear in KURUMIN ifconfig output
inet addr:10.1.1.3 Bcast:10.255.255.255 Mask:255.0.0.0
next line onwards KNOPPIX reads same as KURUMIN
but last line in the ifconfig KNOPPIX eth0 entry differs from KURUMIN to read
Interrupt:10 Base address:0xe800

KNOPPIX ifconfig lo and ppp0 outputs otherwise match those of good session KURUMIN online's.

Typing telco IP 200.165.104.30 or www.veloxzone.com.br into Konqueror/Firefox returns Unknown host in KNOPPIX.

Off topic but worth mentioning: Surprised unable add USB-connected Samsung ML-143 laser printer with KDE Control Module-Add Printer Wizard with either KNOPPIX 4.0.2 or KURUMIN 5.10 when this was a breeze using Ubuntu 5.10.

Thanks for everything.

Dave

newfellow
10-13-2005, 04:38 PM
Harry, Settings and log info from my latest ADSL (PPPoE) session using a Linux LiveCD may shed more light. Now I've found what works (Internet, printer, everything, all from CD-ROM boot) won't be chasing this distro any further but you may find something here to help others in same frustrating situation I was when unable to connect thru ADSL modem. Thanks, Dave

BEFORE RUNNING sudo pppoeconf IN UBUNTU 5.10 LiveCD TERMINAL WINDOW
================================================== ==============
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:02:3F:3E:60:5B
inet6 addr: fe80::202:3fff:fe3e:605b/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:21 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:1672 (1.6 KiB) TX bytes:2660 (2.5 KiB)
Interrupt:10 Base address:0xe300

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.255.255.255
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:1376 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:1376 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:123417 (120.5 KiB) TX bytes:123417 (120.5 KiB)

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo pppoeconf

AFTER RUNNING sudo pppoeconf IN UBUNTU 5.10 LiveCD TERMINAL WINDOW
================================================== =============

Plugin rp-pppoe.so loaded.
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:02:3F:3E:60:5B
inet6 addr: fe80::202:3fff:fe3e:605b/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:21 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:32 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:2342 (2.2 KiB) TX bytes:3320 (3.2 KiB)
Interrupt:10 Base address:0xe300

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.255.255.255
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:1905 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:1905 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:171763 (167.7 KiB) TX bytes:171763 (167.7 KiB)

ppp0 Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
inet addr:200.165.194.3 P-t-P:200.217.72.8 Mask:255.255.255.255
UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1492 Metric:1
RX packets:3 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:3 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
RX bytes:54 (54.0 b) TX bytes:54 (54.0 b)

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ plog
Oct 13 11:58:52 localhost pppd[25493]: PAP authentication succeeded
Oct 13 11:58:52 localhost pppd[25493]: peer from calling number 00:09:B6:8C:FE:C 0 authorized
Oct 13 11:58:53 localhost pppd[25493]: replacing old default route to eth0 [10.1 .1.1]
Oct 13 11:58:53 localhost pppd[25493]: Cannot determine ethernet address for pro xy ARP
Oct 13 11:58:53 localhost pppd[25493]: local IP address 200.165.194.3
Oct 13 11:58:53 localhost pppd[25493]: remote IP address 200.217.72.8
Oct 13 11:58:53 localhost pppd[25493]: primary DNS address 200.149.55.142
Oct 13 11:58:53 localhost pppd[25493]: secondary DNS address 200.165.132.154
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ ping knoppix.net
PING knoppix.net (216.32.81.146) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from knoppix.net (216.32.81.146): icmp_seq=1 ttl=238 time=158 ms
64 bytes from knoppix.net (216.32.81.146): icmp_seq=2 ttl=238 time=160 ms
64 bytes from knoppix.net (216.32.81.146): icmp_seq=3 ttl=238 time=156 ms
64 bytes from knoppix.net (216.32.81.146): icmp_seq=4 ttl=238 time=158 ms
64 bytes from knoppix.net (216.32.81.146): icmp_seq=5 ttl=238 time=160 ms

[1]+ Stopped ping knoppix.net
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$