PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 4.0 on a USB Stick

thorvik
10-08-2005, 07:26 PM
A lot of topics cover this issue, but as far as I can see they cover previous versions of knoppix. However I want to create a linux on my USB stick and will use knoppix as a base for this. I have read the how to by Matthias Muller, and he refer to a file called boot.img under KNOPPIX. I have downloaded the english CD version of knoppix and can't find any file called boot.img. Is it suppose to be there or not. And if not, can I use an other boot.img to modify. Or even better, does anyone know of a document for installing knoppix 4.0 on a USB STICK (not USB HD)?

Regards

:twisted:

ruymbeke
10-08-2005, 09:05 PM
A lot of topics cover this issue, but as far as I can see they cover previous versions of knoppix. However I want to create a linux on my USB stick and will use knoppix as a base for this. I have read the how to by Matthias Muller, and he refer to a file called boot.img under KNOPPIX. I have downloaded the english CD version of knoppix and can't find any file called boot.img. Is it suppose to be there or not. And if not, can I use an other boot.img to modify. Or even better, does anyone know of a document for installing knoppix 4.0 on a USB STICK (not USB HD)? Regards :twisted:

Have a look in here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93758#93758
This thread also describes how to run knoppix from the hdd without creating a new partition for knoppix and without touching the mbr or the boot sector of your disk/partition. This is a very clean way and much faster way to run Knoppix than from the cd/dvd/usb. Please give me some feedback and let me if it works for you.
Best Regards, Gilles

thorvik
10-10-2005, 12:54 AM
I have now tested several solutions but they all gives me boot failed. Nothing more. I have folloved:

http://rz-obrian.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/knoppix-usb/ by Matthias Müller
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=64999
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93758#93758

With the last link it booted to something that looked liked GRUB. I would prefer my system to boot to a customised system and the same way as with the CD. But I am lost? There must be a way, I can see many has done it with previous versions of knoppix. The worst thing is that the system doesn't report how far you get. Only boot failed. Help or ideas would be appreciated

Regards

ruymbeke
10-10-2005, 02:13 AM
I have now tested several solutions but they all gives me boot failed. Nothing more...:twisted:
I have it running on quite a few systems (some diskless).
But I some cases I had to update the config files...
Which version of knoppix are you trying to boot ? Did you try 4.0.2 ?
After Grub, what happend ? Do you get the kernel and initrd loaded ?
Can you please be more explicit than just "boot failed" ? what are the previous messages ?
What is your setup ? ide/scsi disks ? pata or sata ?
The usb dongle is seens as a scsi/sata device(/dev/sd..), so if you have such a device on your system,
(even the T43 Thinkpads is using a sata/pata bridge) you may need to change the kernel bootfrom cheatcode.
Best Regards, Gilles

thorvik
10-10-2005, 10:51 AM
When using the MS Dos (io.sys) I boot in to something that lookes like GRUB. I can give GRUB commands. But I don't want to use GRUB, I would like the dongle to go straigh into knoppix, like with the CD.

To me it apears that the system finds a boot record since it says "boot failed". And not the usual "no systemdisk, replace and press any key". The dongle apears as sda1 in my system. I have issued the syslinux /dev/sda1 command. So it boot with the dongle to some extent, but I don't get the options. I have also edited the minirt file.

I am trying to boot 4.02, after grub nothing loaded, my setup is ide/pata and the usb device is seen as a scsi device in KNOPPIX. There are no previos messages to "boot failed".

I have modified the menu.lst files, but Im not sure which device (hd0,0 fd0,x) the dongle apears as.

thorvik
10-10-2005, 02:42 PM
Ok, now I have testet to boot up with a clean formated USB stick, and the system cries, No system disk, replace and press any key. So obiously, after running syslinux it the BIOS finds a system, but boot fails in the process.