PDA

View Full Version : Is there a HCL? Are the 8x86 and SiS5598 supported?

frankvw
10-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Is there such a thing as a Hardware Compatibility List for Knoppix? I'm trying to install Knoppix on a Compaq Presario 2282 (a typical example of why I don't like Compaq hardware) and I can't get it to work. True, the machine came with the familiar 'Designed for Windows '98' warning sticker, but that has never t stopped me before... so far. :(

Symptoms:
The CD boots, I get the intro screen (including graphics) and hit enter, the kernel starts loading, then the screen goes black and that's all she wrote. Kernel switches such as noprobe, 2, nodma, or other attempts to forego hardware probing and run in text mode only have no effect. Another attempt with Fedora Core 2 (not the latest one, but all I had handy at the time) went even worse, and ended in a spontaneous (and reproducable) reboot upon kernel load.

The Presario 2282 has a 8X86 CPU and an SiS5598 graphic controller. But while Google has it that the SiS5598 apparently is not supported by all versions of Xfree86, that should not prevent booting in text mode, should it?

Is there anyone who has managed to run Knoppix on this or similar hardware? Should it work? If not, what hardware (CPU's, VGA controllers etc.) is supported? Is there much difference across Knoppix versions in support for older processors and VGA chips?

All replies are appreciated. Thanks!