PDA

View Full Version : Dell Laptop, KPPP & Linksys Etherfast LanModem 56K Probl

Walter
04-27-2003, 03:38 AM
Dell Latitude CPt S500CT boots without a problem; Linksys card is recognized. For various reasons the configuration I am stuck with is -- LAN port dead-ends in an HP JetDirect (which works and prints without problem); internet access is only via the modem port.

Problem -- I can't get KPPP to dial out via the modem port properly -- KPPP will not get the modem to go off-hook (even after I put the off-hook command - ATH1 - explicitly in the KPPP modem script). However, the 'test-modem' KPPP feature works fine -- the test is run successfully. Then I try to dial out, I hear the numeric tones, and nothing happens since the modem is not taken off-hook (i.e. I never get dial-tone). There was one exception to my tries -- ONCE (and only ONCE) I got the modem to dial out and register with my ISP (only after placing the ATH1 command in the modem script); however, my browser then attempted to resolve addresses via the LAN port, and not the modem port, so nothing worked.

So (i) how do I get KPPP to work properly, (ii) when connected to my ISP, how do I get my browser to resolve via the modem port, and not the LAN port

Note: the card works fine under W'dows

Thanks -- Walter or WCMozart@aol.com

ls_linux
05-10-2003, 12:25 PM
I can't offer you a solution, but willl be thankful if you post how you got to there? Thank you.