PDA

View Full Version : is there a workaround for reiserfs and fromhd cheatcode?

Joseph Schiller
10-10-2005, 07:24 AM
I have Linux sys on second partition /hda3 and I was able to boot Knoppix 4.0 DVD with the cheatcode 'tohd=/dev/hda3' successfully. It took a while to copy the two files KNOPPIX and KNOPPIX2 in a KNOPPIX directory. However, I am not able to boot from it. The image files reside on a reiserfs file system, and I've noticed that I can boot from a KNOPPIX.iso using 'bootfrom' cheatcode, but not 'fromhd'. (It seems to be a reiserfs hurdle.) I've done it with knoppix 3.6 and 3.9 iso images using 'bootfrom' every time. When I try with the DVD inserted 'fromhd=/dev/hda3' I get an error, not able to read file, when I try 'bootfrom=/dev/hda3' I get a different error about cloop already being mounted, then Knoppix boots from the DVD instead of booting from the hd. I've searched the forums for clues, but did not seem to find a solution. The two files KNOPPIX and KNOPPIX2 appear as 'shell scripts' in the KNOPPIX directory. Am I missing something to be able to boot from the hd? Should I copy the DVD as an iso image to continue booting as before?

ckamin
10-10-2005, 09:19 AM
You would probably have more success finding a solution if your post was placed in a more appropriate category in the forum. There are two that would probably serve you better. "Hardware & Booting" or possibly "Hdd Install / Debian / Apt" might be a better place to try. I was able to see two or three posts in the "Hardware and Booting" category that might apply to your issue with just a quick look through the first few pages. You might want to search with different parameters or browse through there to see if anything looks applicable. It is better to place your post so someone with the expertise in those types of issues might see it and respond.

I don't think that simply copying the files to the HDD and trying to boot from it would work. I have not tried it personally, so I can't say for sure, but I suspect something else might be needed. You might want to try a different method as described in some of the posts in the other categories I mentioned. Using the iso might present some options or resolution also.