PDA

View Full Version : Local file difficulty to burn the DVD

Jorge Martínez
10-10-2005, 04:49 PM
The difficult part, downloading the ISO image, I did it reasonably well, using wget within Knoppix 4.0 CD and writing the file to a FAT32 partition in a hard disk. I then authenticated it checking both MD5 and SHA1.

It is the easy part, actually burning the DVD, that I can't do. But K3b, the burning program within Knoppix, rejects the file as "remote", it will only accepts "local files" . Although I don't know what do remote/local mean in this context, I had for similar circumstances used the trick of copying the "remote" file to the desktop, so making it "local". But the desktop is RAM. No capacity there for 3.1 GB. What can I do? I fail to understand why a file saved by the same Knoppix is considered remote. Certainly Knoppix CD ought to provide the tools to make the DVD.

I also failed with NTI, supplied with my brand new Sony burner, a windows software. DVD is one of 3 options to make a data disk, but this option appears in a subdued tone and has no effect, the other ones seem to be OK.

I find myself in the position of Tantalus. I got my food but can't bite it.

Harry Kuhman
10-10-2005, 07:24 PM
I also failed with NTI, supplied with my brand new Sony burner, a windows software. DVD is one of 3 options to make a data disk, but this option appears in a subdued tone and has no effect, the other ones seem to be OK.
Sorry about your torment.

I have not yet burnt a DVD with Knoppix, may give it a ty later. By 4.0 CD do you mean 4.0.2 CD, as the older versions were not released on CD.

As for NTI, I'm puzzled by this problem. I own NTI and have used it with my DVD burner fine. However, you didn't give a version number and my copy is a little old (I had to download the new drivers from NTI to get it to recognize my DVD burner). So what I say here will apply to NTI-6 "Platinum", may or may not apply to you. When I start NIT I get a splash screen for the type of compiliation I want to burn. I pick data, then DVD from the DVD or CD choices that come up. Only then do I get to the full screen for building a new disc. Once on the main screen, if you have multiple drives in your system then your problem may be that the wrong one is selected. Find the control that selects which drive you burn to (it's a drop down list near the top right with NTI 6) and be sure that it's pointing to the DVD drive and not the CD drive. Then I just use "Create Disc from ISO Disc Image File" under the main File menu. I know NTI 7 is out now so this may be somewhat different for you, but I certainly expect there should be a way to burn a DVD iso with 7 if 6 can do it, and if you are using 6 then I'm at a complete loss.

ckamin
10-11-2005, 09:36 AM
But K3b, the burning program within Knoppix, rejects the file as "remote", it will only accepts "local files"
If you are using the Version 4.0.1 DVD, it may well be the result of a Bug listed here: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bugs/4.0.1DVD
It reads as follows:

3.) Reported by: KK
/usr/bin/cdrecord, /usr/bin/cdrdao, /usr/bin/cdda2wav and /usr/bin/cdparanoia have wrong (missing) group execute permissions.
Solution: Before using any of these programs or running k3b, do a
sudo chmod g+w /usr/bin/{cdrecord,cdrdao,cdda2wav,cdparanoia}

but this option appears in a subdued tone and has no effect
Could it be that your Drive is not properly recognised or selected in the NTI program? I don't have any almost current version of NTI installed at the present time, so I can't and won't try to advise you from memory. It's just that having a subdued or grayed out selection usually means that the selected device does not have that function as recognised by the program. If Sony gave you a version that needs to be updated to recognise their drive, SHAME on Them! You might go to the Sony site to see if they have a FAQ or Update for it. Their support is usually not too great, but they have a bit for the more recent products and are pretty good at putting out fixes such as that.

Good luck!

Jorge Martínez
10-12-2005, 12:01 AM
Thank you for your help.

My Knoppix is V.4.0.2-CD downloaded from a mirror in Europe and burnt by myself.

My DVD image is also V.4.O.2-DVD downloaded from the US, I think www.kernel.com, so far authenticated but not burnt.

My burner soft for windows is NTI DVDRW Maker Gold Version 7.0.0.2701. It came with the Sony burner, a new one that I bought a couple of weeks ago. The main menu is within a circle, the figure of a CD. On top (say 12 hs on a clock face) I have Datos, to the left (10 hs) Audio, to the right (2 hs) Video. If I hit Datos a submenu pops up with 3 options, namely CD de Datos, DVD de Datos, CD en Modo Mixto (Forgive my Spanish, hope you'll get it) If I hit either the first or third, a new page or screen opens with the means to proceed. But if I hit the second one, nothing happens. It appears in a subdued tone. I have captured the image but don't know how to insert an image here, it seems to work only for an URL in the web, not for a file in my HD. I think that when I first started this soft it was alright, but then kaput. I uninstalled and reinstalled it, but failed to correct it.

I don't comment on the subject of bugs in the Version 4.0.1 DVD, as my one is 4.0.2 and anyhow not working yet.

I would much appreciate a discussion of the local/remote file dichotomy, a problem that haunts from some time ago. If I could have the ISO file as "local", probably I could burn the DVD with K3b.

Regards.

Harry Kuhman
10-12-2005, 12:13 AM
If I hit Datos a submenu pops up with 3 options, namely CD de Datos, DVD de Datos, CD en Modo Mixto
Jorge,

This sounds very similar to the way NTI 6 starts, except that I don't have the third option. I'm very hard pressed to understand how the DVD option can be greyed out at this point however. it would seem that you can't create any data DVD this way. Have you ever burnt any data DVD with this configuration?

With NTI 6, on this opening screen, you can also use the "tools" menu near the top left of the window (I never even realize this until just now when I looked at it again.) Please look at your and see if you can access the tools menu at that point (before selecting a type of compilation) and if you can, see what is under the drive properties... option. Is it identifying the DVD drive??? It really sounds like the software isn't leting you recognize hat the drive that you have is a DVD drive and not a CD drive. You may want to contact the support people for your NTI software or for the Sony burner.

Harry

ckamin
10-12-2005, 06:11 AM
Jorge Martínez wrote:
but this option appears in a subdued tone and has no effect
Are you logged in to Windows as an "ADMINISTRATOR". If not, you may have difficulty with permissions with the aspi layer. I seem to recall that NTI required administrator access to work properly. Be sure that your SONY drive is selected as the target drive in the program.

I would try to use the program from the "File" menu on the top toolbar rather than to click on the Icons on the "Clock". I seem to remember doing this with NTI.

If you have a different writing software that would be compatible with your drive, you might try something else. Some PCs come with something pre-installed.

Check the following link to NTI for the supported hardware list. There is a link at the bottom of the page for the latest drive database. I have provide it here for your convenience. You might try to update that to be sure your drive is included. :
http://www.ntius.com/default.asp?p=support/supdrives

Link to the drive database: http://www.ntius.com/default.asp?p=support/supdrives_db

There is documentation available at the NTI site also, and covers version 7 Platinum, but Gold should be similar with perhaps a few less features. The User Guide is located here for English: http://nti.downloadtech.net/manual/cdmaker/NTI_CDDVD_Maker_7_Platinum_User_Guide.pdf

User Guides in other languages can be accessed here: http://www.ntius.com/default.asp?p=download/download_prod&prod=cddvdm7&ver=update#manual

You might be able to download a language pack to update the software to include other languages.

Check this link for a forum with posts describing similar issues as yours. : http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?p=1127152#post1127152

A quick test to see the state of the drive. Use the Sony DriveCheck software. It is intended for US customers only. Read more about it here: http://sony.storagesupport.com/cdrw/diagnostics.htm

You may have a defective drive, software in need of an update, or some other issue preventing your drive from properly reporting it's capabilities to the software. It appears that you might not be the only one having this problem either. You would be wise to contact support at BOTH Sony AND NTI to see what they have to offer.

Jorge Martínez wrote:
I don't comment on the subject of bugs in the Version 4.0.1 DVD, as my one is 4.0.2 and anyhow not working yet.
You did not mention what version of Knoppix you were using to burn the DVD with, in your original post. There is a bug in the 4.0.1 DVD that could have affected your results, but since you are not using that particular version, it probably does not apply. The version you were actually writing to the DVD would probably have no bearing on your problem.

Jorge Martínez
10-12-2005, 07:22 PM
Thank you very much for your help and for the useful links.

Harry said:
Have you ever burnt any data DVD with this configuration?
With NTI 6, on this opening screen, you can also use the "tools" menu near the top left of the window

No, but I have burnt a CD, actually the 4.0.2-CD
The burner is only 3 weeks old. My son bought his at the same time and has the same problem.
From the tools (herramientas in my Spanish version) menu I have no option taking me to DVD Data.

ckamin wrote:
Are you logged in to Windows as an "ADMINISTRATOR". .
I would try to use the program from the "File" menu on the top toolbar rather than to click on the Icons on the "Clock".
If you have a different writing software that would be compatible with your drive, you might try something else. Some PCs come with something pre-installed.

I am the single user of my PC and can access everything on my own. My "File" has only a two line menu in the opening screen, so this roundabout is not available to me. After hitting an option elsewhere, it becomes more comprehensive.

There are lots of free DVD burner softs. I even downloaded and installed "Deep Burn". It recognizes my Sony burner and seems to be able to burn a data DVD from the ISO image file.

But my doubt is whether it (or any other software) could damage the burner somehow. My PC is running on W98 and has nothing preinstalled that could help me.

Regards

Harry Kuhman
10-12-2005, 07:35 PM
No, but I have burnt a CD, actually the 4.0.2-CD
The burner is only 3 weeks old. My son bought his at the same time and has the same problem.
It really sounds like you need to be talking with the support people on this. I don't know what the return policy is on this, but as it is often set at 30 days here I would do this very soon. Something is very wrong that goes well beyond the Knoppix ISO. I don't think there is much chance that other software will harm the drive, but you have also paid for the bundeled NIT software and it may have some features (like DVD video compilation) that free software tends to lack. NTI 6 burns DVDs so NTI certainly should too, although you may need an updated set of drivers (which certainly should have come with the DVD drive but the support people should know what is needed).

Jorge Martínez
10-13-2005, 04:45 PM
Success!!!!!

I'm glad to report that I finally could burn my Knoppix 4.0.2 DVD. In fact, I'm now running it, so this is my inauguration. I downloaded and installed the CDBurnerXP Pro 3 Freeware by Stefan Haglund and Fredrik Haglund, that did the job with no trouble. I found that the burning speed for DVDs is different from CDs. 4x is 5520 kB/s for DVDs and only 600 kB/s for CDs. This probably refers to the different frequency of video and audio signals.
I find that the operation with DVD is identical as with CD, but of course it has a wealth of applications that I have not even begun to see. For a start, as I write this, there is an otomatic, sorry, automatic spell correction. The first one was shown in red. Very useful to me as my language is not English.

Harry Kuhman wrote:
It really sounds like you need to be talking with the support people on this. I don't know what the return policy is on this, but as it is often set at 30 days here I would do this very soon.

I have already filed a complaint with my supplier, they will check with the Sony distributor. At least the device itself is workable, so they'll have to give me a new software, a relatively simple matter.

Thanks again and regards.

Harry Kuhman
10-30-2005, 08:51 PM
Jorge,

I'm having a major problem responding to you via the "Private message" feature. Tried e-mail but have not heard from you. Please try to get hold of me by email.

Please try to contact me at jorge.7.kman (at) spamgourmet.com

Obviously change the (at) and remove the spaces, but keep the dots and the number. This is a disposable address and I'll give you a permament one once we remake contact by e-mail. If the spam harvesters get this before you do it may max out and not accept mail from you too, so please keep trying.

I'll explain the problem once we remake contact. It doesn't affect most users, but it is stopping me from sending you a private message.

Harry