PDA

View Full Version : Cant Boot into Knoppix, Please Help

Anthony1uk
10-10-2005, 05:44 PM
Today i went back for my final year of my university course. And as since May, as i have been pretty much using nothing but Linux for all my work I am tired of using Windows which the university has. So to do my work and to browse the net i took in my Knoppix Live CD to use instead of their windows XP.

However i cant seem to get it to work. As the computer seems to be ignoring the CD drive and booting from the hard drive always to windows (i assume the Hard Drive is above the CD drive in the boot bios). However the bios on the machines is password protected and obvioulsy i dont have the password to allow me to change it to put the CD drive first.

Therefore can i ask is there anyway i can force the machine to boot from the CD without going into the bios and therefore use my Knoppix CD (or other linux) liveCD to do all my course work.

Thank You
Anthony

UnderScore
10-10-2005, 06:11 PM
I gather you are trying to run Knoppix on a university owned & maintained PC that has its BIOS set to boot from the HD and the BIOS has a password so you can't change the boot order. It seems obvious that the uni does not want anyone to "mess" with the PCs. You should speak to a lab tech or a uni sysadmin & see if they can change the boot order for you.

rwcitek
10-11-2005, 12:04 AM
You should speak to a lab tech or a uni sysadmin & see if they can change the boot order for you.
Absolutely get their permission. You don't want to become another Randal Schwarz example.

After that, you may want to look into the Smart Boot Manager. The SBM will allow you to start from a floppy and continue from the CD. Search these forums and the wiki for more info.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org