PDA

View Full Version : new to linux

Slippy
10-10-2005, 06:41 PM
well, ive been programming for a long time now, and i always just thought linux was an alternative operating system, but recently i heard, people actually take linux, and code their own addins for it, and make their own software packages to run on their linux os, is this true? if so, where can i get resources to get started, as i would really like to get involved in some projects.

OErjan
10-10-2005, 10:12 PM
, i am not 100% certain what you mean. you can make linux (the kernel) from sourcecode if you wish, then a few other things so you get base system, rest you can add as you see fit.
if i am not all wrong you should even be able to do it with knoppix as startingpoint.
here you have a link for Linux From Scratch (LFS), http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
in their own words.

LFS is a project that provides you with step-by-step instructions for building your own custom Linux system, entirely from source code.

if you just want to make your own programs for Linux, just go ahead.
the tools (compiler, debugger...), kernel-header, libraries... are already included in most distributions. you can use C, distC, C++, fortran77 and many other languages.
here you have a few howtos on linux in general, some have conections to programing.
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/
here are most of the programing related ones in one page.
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/programming.html
have a great time with linux

tdjokic
10-10-2005, 10:47 PM
www.distrowatch.com - everything (and more) about Linux. Good start, al least.

Slippy
10-11-2005, 10:16 AM
great, thats what i wanted, an operating system i can begin developing my own software for, but with better compatibilty than windows, so i figured an open source OS would do the job perfectly.

chris-harry
10-11-2005, 10:23 AM
>> and code their own addins for it, and make their own software packages to run on their linux os, is this true?<<

yes some people code their own addins in for it... i called them people with alot of time on their hands... or just do it for fun...

you can pritty much make your own software for it, if you really want to... their is no problem with that, infact i think its encouraged... its really (when you think about it) the back bone to what makes linux linux... freedom to really get dirty...

Cuddles
10-26-2005, 03:56 PM
Slippy,

Considering that Linux is Open Source, and GPL'ed, everything is at your footsteps... Source code is always available, so you can not only "tinker", you can junk the body, and totaly redesign the thing, if you want...

A lot of the distributions started out that way... took parts of this, parts of that, added this, added that, and released it.

The nice thing about Linux is, you get everything you need, to get started, and to go on, with... Source code, compilers, hooks into the system, functions, routines, and a very "potent" script language as well - bash. A lot of things actually dont use compiler language code, but, rather, use this scripting language. ( just a thought )

As for contributing, a lot of the distributions are looking for coders, programmers, on a voluntary basis... Each new release has tons of "background" workers in making it happen, most of these people do it for the fun, the thrill, the challenge, or just to do it... As for the M$ alternative, you got to up-front the money to get the developing software, then deal with the "information" that the OS wants to give you, of which, not all is given - this allows the company (MS) to bring out "better" programs than other people, and then, you have to keep up with all the versions of the MS OS... Linux, pretty much, gives you everything you need to know, and use, to get the same results as anyone else to develop software for it... A nice perk !

If something isnt included on your distribution, I am quite sure, it is but a simple, free, download away :D

Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles