PDA

View Full Version : Help loading Knoppix on laptop

brain3000us
10-12-2005, 02:02 AM
I have a Toshiba Satellite M45-S265. I just recently downloaded Knoppix and I keep getting this message right after the Pre-Boot execution screen.

PXE-E61: Media Test Failure. check cable
PXE-MOF: exiting CD-ROM

What is my problem?

Harry Kuhman
10-12-2005, 02:45 AM
You may wish to review the downloading faq, reached by following the downloading link near the top of this page.

brain3000us
10-12-2005, 03:07 AM
Still did not help me. My iso's were good, and I redid my CD the way the FAQ said to.

Harry Kuhman
10-12-2005, 04:31 AM
Sounds pretty strange. It sounds like you are getting far enough to enter options at boot time, but I'm not really sure of that. Have you tried the testcd code at boot time? Have you tried the dma cheat code?

Tom_Late
10-20-2005, 02:08 PM
As I know the second row of message is created because of the first one:
So this sounds more like hardware failure.
This message occurs also on PC's with BIOS and XP.

Do you have a running Windows or other OS on this latop?
Did you test the Knoppix CD on another computer to verify that it isn't the disc?

ckamin
10-20-2005, 10:21 PM
brain3000us Wrote:
I have a Toshiba Satellite M45-S265. I just recently downloaded Knoppix and I keep getting this message right after the Pre-Boot execution screen.
PXE-MOF: exiting CD-ROM
What is my problem?
These type of PXE error messages can be caused by a number of reasons. A bad hard drive or cable can be the issue, or an improperly seated drive in a Laptop. Check to make sure that the drives are properly seated and installed. I seem to remember that they are most commonly caused by a system that is set to boot from a network and it fails to find it's network or remote boot server. I would check the Bios settings and see if the Network (LAN) boot option is there and remove it if you do not use it. If you cannot remove it, make it the very last item in the list. Optical drives or Floppy should be first, then HDD, and LAN last. It could also mean that you have a drive that is corrupted or failing. Check the Toshiba site for a bios update also. I think there was an issue with hard drives not being recognized on occasion and that could be the reason it is bypassing the drives and going to the LAN.

Let us know how you make out.

lancerr
11-01-2005, 05:02 PM
Hi all,

I am having the same problem with the PXE errors. I changed the boot order around to make the HDD->CDD->LAN->FDD with a new Samsung HD, and a Windows XP install cd ( i know this is linux newsgroup but you all seem to be having the same problem) in the drive assuming that the computer would automatically detect the boot cd and start the windows installation.

Instead, I see the drive light stay orange on the cddrive (what does that mean?) and the computer goes to the floppy (I hear the usual floppy access noise when there's no floppy in the drive) - WTF?

How did the boot loader skip the cd? To see if the Windows XP CD had a problem, I checked it in another computer - that works. I loaded a DVD movie into the drive of the computer with the problem and the light doesn't stay on.

Not sure what's going on or what to do.

Thanks

ckamin
11-01-2005, 11:44 PM
I am having the same problem with the PXE errors. I changed the boot order around to make the HDD->CDD->LAN->FDD with a new Samsung HD
The order you need is FDD or CDD FIRST and SECOND, then the HDD Third and then Finally LAN as the LAST Boot device. It makes sense since you stated your HDD is New and possibly not formatted or bootable that it would skip over the HDD and go to the next bootable device. As I mentioned in my last post on this subject, I believe there is a Bios update for certain drive and booting errors for the Toshiba model mentioned in the original post. I think it is version 1.20 or something along those lines. Just be very careful if you decide to flash your Bios. If it is done improperly, it can render your laptop unbootable. Be sure to have adequate battery AND A/C poer applied and to read ALL the directions and Instructions before doing the update. There could also be something wrong with your drive, that does not occur in Windows. There might be a firmware update for the drive itself. I just think that your issue is probably the boot order that you have selected, if you have represented it correctly in your post. I have used FDD>CDD>HDD>LAN with success on similar models. You can use CDD>FDD>HDD>LAN as well.

As an alternate with Windows, go to the Microsoft website and download the floppy boot disk set for your version of Windows and use them to boot to the Install interface. For XP Pro or XP Home, SP2 versions, they can be found at the following links: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=535D248D-5E10-49B5-B80C-0A0205368124&displaylang=en AND http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=15491F07-99F7-4A2D-983D-81C2137FF464&displaylang=en

Good Luck! Let us know how you make out.

RoyalMail
11-06-2005, 04:43 PM
I changed the boot order around to make the HDD->CDD->LAN->FDD with a new Samsung HD, and a Windows XP install cd ( i know this is linux newsgroup but you all seem to be having the same problem) in the drive assuming that the computer would automatically detect the boot cd and start the windows installation.

Instead, I see the drive light stay orange on the cddrive (what does that mean?) and the computer goes to the floppy (I hear the usual floppy access noise when there's no floppy in the drive) - WTF?

How did the boot loader skip the cd?

Well the fact that the HD comes first in the order may have something to do with it! You should set up to check the FDD first, then CD, then HD.

Regds, RM.