PDA

View Full Version : 4.0.2 - HD install - input/output errors on Readmes, Docs

kitcatcher
10-13-2005, 03:49 PM
I tried to do the knoppix HD install (knoppix-installer) (debian version) I get lots and lots of input/output errors.

It feels like the list of included files was pared down at the last minute to conserve space but that the installation script was not edited to match, so it gets to about 60% (don't remember exact number) and I start getting errors like:

cp /usr/share/docs/packagename/README input/output error

What makes me suspect the bit about changes at the last minute is that all of the missing files are READMEs, Docs, txt, and htm files - nothing that would be sorely missed.

So, not too bad of a problem, right? Nuh-uh. Unfortunately, the cdrom seeks for each file for abt 2-3min which makes the install take wayyyyyy too long - I left it going overnight last night (at 4:30p) and it was not completed by this morning (8:30a) = 16+ hrs! It had only made it up to the Ms when I held in the power button for an ungraceful reboot, so I have no idea how long the full install would take.

==

Then, I tried to do the simpler install to HD of the "Knoppix CD on HD" version. It too bogged down unable to find certain files. This time, however, they were groff development font files.

==

I booted knoppix with the cdtest cheat code and the CD passed the test.

==

Would someone mind grabbing an old 3 GB drive and try the install to HD to verify this is not just me?

This may be something to fix for 4.0.3?

==

If it is possible to edit the installer script, can someone help me figure out where it is and how to edit it. I saw references to it in other posts, but nothing definitive.

rwcitek
10-13-2005, 08:38 PM
I tried to do the knoppix HD install (knoppix-installer) (debian version) I get lots and lots of input/output errors.
What's having the I/O errors, the CD or the HD or something else?

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org