PDA

View Full Version : How to Configure Wireless Internet with Knoppix 4.0 Live CD

achilles
10-14-2005, 07:31 PM
Hello, I'm new to Linux/Knoppix and I would like to know how to get online via my wireless card to my router. The CD boots fine but when I open KWIFI Manager I see the single laptop icon (which I think means that Knoppix recognizes the wireless card) and a weak signal strength of an unknown access point, when I scan for other networks it finds none even when I'm close to my router.

Laptop = Sony VAIO PCG-K25 2.8GHz 1024MB
Wireless Card = LAN-Express AS IEEE 802.11g miniPCI Adapter
Router = Belkin F5D7230-4

qhash
10-14-2005, 07:50 PM
I have the same problem. I use Laptop Acer 4604WLMi and I can not connect to Access Point. I use 802.11b/g wireless LAN. I someone could help I will be very greatful. Thanks

danielsan
10-15-2005, 09:31 PM
www.linuxquestions.org has an HCL section that may help. From the looks of it, your wireless cards may not be listed on this website, but the posts may give you some ideas to try.

You may need to use the ndiswrapper utility. http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/ is a great place to start. It is already included with Knoppix 4, so no need to load it.

I found that it is best to first load the driver with ndiswrapper, do a "modprobe ndiswrapper", configure wlan0 with iwconfig, then use the Knoppix->Network/Interface->Network Card Configuration utility to enable the card using DHCP.

Good luck.