PDA

View Full Version : Need help with UnionFS

davea0511
10-14-2005, 10:32 PM
I need to overlay a touchscreen calibration file from my thumbdrive back into my /etc filestructure upon bootup so the touchscreen is calibrated correctly. UnionFS is the way to do this, yes?

Problem is, I can't find any decent tutorials or overviews on how to implement a UnionFS with Knoppix. I know "it's included" starting Knoppix 3.8 - but how to use it?

rwcitek
10-15-2005, 03:44 PM
I need to overlay a touchscreen calibration file from my thumbdrive back into my /etc filestructure upon bootup so the touchscreen is calibrated correctly. UnionFS is the way to do this, yes?
I'm not quite clear on what you are trying to do, therefore I don't know if UnionFS will solve your problem. What do you mean by "overlay"? Do you mean "copy"? In other words, can you type this:

cp /path/to/thumbdrive/file /etc/
Also, what version of Knoppix are you using? Are you booting from the LiveCD or have you installed Knoppix to a HD?

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org

davea0511
10-15-2005, 08:27 PM
I remastered a liveCD, and put the liveCD image on a CF card in an IDE adapter (for a silent 100% solid state PC). Even if I had write access to the CF card when it is running, it's a liveCD image so I can't just stick the contents into the /etc directory of the CF card. So the calibration file has to be copied to the /RAMdisk/etc directory upon bootup, overlaying the filestructure that the liveCD is creating.

Since the touchscreen is initialized during bootup I need to copy the calibration data from my thumbdrive onto the ramdisk at the same time the LiveCD is copying stuff to the RAMdisk.

Morphix has a cool way of doing it, called "translucency". With morphix, you just put the files you want overlayed into the RAMdisk in an uncompressed folder on the liveCD, which Morphix named "/copy". I wish Knoppix had a similar feature out-of-the-box. It's a sweet way to do things.

ps - I'm currently using knoppix 3.7, but I can just as easily use the latest knoppix (UnionFS is from 3.8 on up, yes?).