PDA

View Full Version : Stuck On Black Screen With Just X Cursor

knoppixknewbie
10-16-2005, 10:00 AM
Hello,
I've download Knoppix 4.0.2, I've burned just the iso image to a cdrw in the proper way (at 4x and using the md5) but when I reboot with it I get the linux menu then the ligns of bootup text (in the different colours), the linux penguin but then it just stops on a black screen and all I've got is an x cursor to move around, no mouse / keyboard buttons respond. Is this normal?

I've had this problem with version 3.7 as well. Also I've read all the faqs and searched the forums and seen references to cheats, is there a cheat that is applicable?
I haven't used the other asc and sha1 files because one of the faqs said they're not essential, have I done something wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Knoppixknewbie

HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4320B drive, XP Home SP2. 1024mb RAM, Phoenix 6.00 Bios.
Knoppix Iso Image Burnt using Cyberlink Power2go.

Harry Kuhman
10-16-2005, 10:22 AM
I haven't used the other asc and sha1 files because one of the faqs said they're not essential, have I done something wrong?
No, checking the md5 is enough. And having the sha1 indicates that you likely use BitTorrent, which also does it's own verification of the file for you, so there is no doubt the file is good.

all I've got is an x cursor to move around, no mouse / keyboard buttons respond. Is this normal?
No, many of us see a bit more.

Knoppix Iso Image Burnt using Cyberlink Power2go. I don't know anything about the burning software that you used, but since you seem to be getting Linux to at least start booting it seems certain that it's being burnt in the proper way. Does the burning software do a verification pass after the burn?

Have you tried the testcd option? I really don't think that it's anyting wrong with the disc, but it would be a nice thing to rule out. It sounds like a problem starting X, and there may well be a cheat code to help you, but I wouldn't know what code you need (I'm hoping others will offer suggestions there). You may want to try putting in knoppix 2 at the prompt and see if you can boot into Linux in console mode; sucess there would confirm that it's an issue somewhere with the GUI.