PDA

View Full Version : Can Someone Help Me With The Installation Of KNOPPIX v4.0...

MGILB81
10-16-2005, 03:23 PM
Sorry about being a complete n00B by posting this, but I dont feel like reading through all the BS search results that come up when I try and find out how to install KNOPPIX v4.0.2 on an already partitioned NTFS system. I need answers, not more questions. First of all, I have an 80 gig hard drive, and all 80 gigs are confiscated to Windows. I learned all this week that Windows blows, and I need to get Linux installed on my machine, but I dont want to waste money on a new hard drive. I want to know how to get KNOPPIX installed on my hard drive and how to give it 20 of my 80 gigs to use. If I install the DVD version of KNOPPIX, will it be "better" than installing the CD version of KNOPPIX? In better, I mean will it do more stuff, and will it be more reliable, and be generally a better choice? I would also like to know if anyone here has tried to install KNOPPIX to their NTFS system, and how it turned out, be it good or bad. If someone could tell me what hard drive back-up program would be best to use in this situation, that would be great also. Linux rules, and I know for a fact that my system will run at its very best if I am using Linux, compared to Windows. I better not see anyone giving me links to anything like other topics like mine, because I need ANSWERS not more questions. Links to programs that will help me partition my hard drive are ok by the way :P Oh yeah, when I install KNOPPIX to my hard drive, its considered "Debian" isnt it? I just need to know so when I go to install stuff I know just what exactly I have an Im not installing anything thats possibly not compatible with the OS.

UnderScore
10-16-2005, 03:29 PM
Start here http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Install_HowTo
read it & follow the link to the flash video

MGILB81
10-16-2005, 03:53 PM
Wow, told me nothing on how to install it to my NTFS Windows confiscated hard drive. In fact, the only thing that I wanted to do was create a swap file space and a small partition so I could save my conifguration files. I dont want to install it anymore. So how in the HELL do I do that?

Dave_Bechtel
10-16-2005, 07:21 PM
--Dude, you need to relax a bit. You're coming off as pretty abrasive, for someone asking a group of strangers for help. :shock: Remember, we're all *volunteers* here, and we're -not- being paid to provide support.

In an effort to be helpful:

NTFS resizer:
http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html

--According to the packages.txt on the Knoppix FTP site, the current Knoppix ISO contains ntfsprogs, which provides ntfsresize. (I haven't used it myself, but you should be able to run it from a command line and read the man page for it.)

--Now for some personal philosophy: I know you mentioned not wanting to "waste" money on a second hard drive, but these days I consider it essential to have at least (2) drives in a home computer system; one for OS/data, and 1 for experimenting/backups.

--If you only have one drive, you generally don't have a reliable backup situation (unless you're using tapes or something.) Seriously consider **investing** in something like a 120-gig or even a 160-gig HD, because then you don't have to repartition the 80-gig -- and you can then do compressed "dd" or "partimage" backups to the 2nd drive, even if you don't want to install Knoppix. Seriously, I speak from experience. I've tried dual-booting with 1 drive, and 2 drives gets around the potential boot-sector problems (for me, if there's no floppy in the drive it boots Windows; if I want to boot Linux I just throw the Lilo floppy in.)

> Oh yeah, when I install KNOPPIX to my hard drive, its considered "Debian" isnt it? I just need to know so when I go to install stuff I know just what exactly I have an Im not installing anything thats possibly not compatible with the OS.

--Yes, once installed to the HD it's considered Debian testing. However, you can go to http://apt-get.org and update your /etc/apt/sources.list with alternative repositories which allow you to install cool things that aren't in the Debian "official" software list.

--BTW, once you've resized your NTFS partition, you should be able to use ' qtparted ' or ' cfdisk ' to create a Linux partition.

Sorry about being a complete n00B by posting this, but I dont feel like reading through all the BS search results that come up when I try and find out how to install KNOPPIX v4.0.2 on an already partitioned NTFS system. I need answers, not more questions. First of all, I have an 80 gig hard drive, and all 80 gigs are confiscated to Windows. I learned all this week that Windows blows, and I need to get Linux installed on my machine, but I dont want to waste money on a new hard drive. I want to know how to get KNOPPIX installed on my hard drive and how to give it 20 of my 80 gigs to use. If I install the DVD version of KNOPPIX, will it be "better" than installing the CD version of KNOPPIX? In better, I mean will it do more stuff, and will it be more reliable, and be generally a better choice? I would also like to know if anyone here has tried to install KNOPPIX to their NTFS system, and how it turned out, be it good or bad. If someone could tell me what hard drive back-up program would be best to use in this situation, that would be great also. Linux rules, and I know for a fact that my system will run at its very best if I am using Linux, compared to Windows. I better not see anyone giving me links to anything like other topics like mine, because I need ANSWERS not more questions. Links to programs that will help me partition my hard drive are ok by the way :P Oh yeah, when I install KNOPPIX to my hard drive, its considered "Debian" isnt it? I just need to know so when I go to install stuff I know just what exactly I have an Im not installing anything thats possibly not compatible with the OS.

MGILB81
10-16-2005, 07:28 PM
THANK YOU. I know you dudes are volunteers, but I still only wanted answers not more questions. You were more help than UnderScore who only gave me one damn link, and nothing useful to do anything on. Thanks Dave_Bechtel for answering my questions.