PDA

View Full Version : printing

crackdaddysnap
12-29-2002, 12:30 AM
i have a d145 i used the print set up in knoppix but at the end i went to test and the message said page sent to printer successfuly but it never printed ??????? how do i set up a hpd145 printer i have it connected to a usb port? thanks for your help i am new to knoppix.

thewalkingman
12-29-2002, 04:25 PM
add my name to list of people who are having problems with printers under knoppix

roberto
12-31-2002, 06:07 AM
me too. especially the fact that even IF you do get your printer working in linux odds are you will have to set it up under MULTIPLE different programs to get anthing worthwhile, (the proud owner of a NEW canon i850 that Linux HATES!)

hendry
01-05-2003, 05:50 PM
Using the 2002-12-12 release:
I went through the KDE wizard to setup my HP PSC 750, and that went smoothly. Printing the test page however, didn't.

After rooting around the /proc/bus/usb, I noticed the permissions might be wrong. I tried to change it using chmod, however I have permission denied due to a read only fs.

If I could only get this HP PSC 750 working properly on my parent's machine! I didn't even dare try scanning !

Hmmm "Persistent Home CD" seems to solve some USB issues, although nothing is mentioned about printers...

oldhippy
01-09-2003, 03:32 PM
Can I get my HP Laserjet 4 Plus to work on KNOPPIX or am I too old?

RockMumbles
01-09-2003, 08:27 PM
Should not be a problem (even for an old hippy ;)) the hplj4+ is old so it's well supported.

In the past I've had my hplj4+ running with several linux distros, but it is now my wifes printer so hands off to me.

What problems are you having?

Are you running from CD or a hdd install?

rock

01-10-2003, 12:11 AM
I am running from the CD.

Just get "EMPTY PRINT COMMAND"

I've got a new computer still in the wrapper waiting to become a LINUX box, but.............

oldhippy
01-17-2003, 04:18 PM
The oldhippy got the printer working!!!!

But, based on that success I unwrapped my new Compaq Presario 6000 and tried to install KNOPPIX. First thing WinXP started and showed me a screen where I would agree to bend over for the XP install. Hey, I ain't going to use it so DON'T AGREE! Shut it down, restart into BIOS and selected boot from CD, tried to install KONPPIX but no go. Tried to partition from floppy using Partition Commander, no go!! Looked on the WEB for help, somebody said that I was blocked by M$. Is this true?

Does anybody need a unused 60gig HD?

01-19-2003, 07:27 PM
:( I can't get the HP 4L running from the CD version. It looks like it's working, but it doesn't.

Thanks for your help.

JetCowBoB
01-20-2003, 01:11 AM
The oldhippy got the printer working!!!!

But, based on that success I unwrapped my new Compaq Presario 6000 and tried to install KNOPPIX. First thing WinXP started and showed me a screen where I would agree to bend over for the XP install. Hey, I ain't going to use it so DON'T AGREE! Shut it down, restart into BIOS and selected boot from CD, tried to install KONPPIX but no go. Tried to partition from floppy using Partition Commander, no go!! Looked on the WEB for help, somebody said that I was blocked by M$. Is this true?

Does anybody need a unused 60gig HD?

I could use a 60GB HD.... whats the catch? =)

newby
01-20-2003, 02:09 AM
Speaking of Hard Drives, I have a Question. I saw on another Linux board that Linux works much faster (2x's) if you do a Low Level format before installing Linux. Has any body here done that? Can you do that type of format on a single partition or only the complete drive? Finally, do think it would really make a difference?

I'm guessing you have to do the complete drive, would take a very long time, its not recomended, and wouldn't make a (noticeable) difference. :shock:

Earl Gibbs
01-20-2003, 04:16 AM
I dont believe you can do a "low level format " of an IDE drive.
Have notised that if I use a wipe program to write all zeros to a drive
and then install linux it seems to run faster. Havent tested it so
i dont have numbers.

I found a wipe program using google and many of the drive
diagnostic floppys have a write zeros program.

mmaki
01-20-2003, 06:29 AM
For printing I have to make sure CUPS is running. I manually start it from the Root Shell with "cupsd"

I have had success with printers using the KDE Control Center...System...Printing Manager. Even though I get an error "client-error-not-found" continue. Click the "Add Printers" icon and follow the set up. I even set up one of my network printers.

Mike

jjc71538
01-31-2003, 11:09 PM
I got a local printer working and now want to get a network printer working. Thanks to the posts above I got the local one working.

The printer is attached to a PC running Widows 98.
The KDE manager requires an address and port for the printer.

The printer is connected to Windows networking but not to TCP/IP ( I think) - the PC connects through a router to a cable modem to an ISP so it's running TCP/IP but what about the printer and making it visible through TCP/IP to the KNOPPIX system so the printer can be set using the KDE manager.

mmaki
02-01-2003, 04:10 AM
If the printer is connected by a parallel cable it is not a TCP/IP printer. You must (I believe) print to it with Samba. I have not done this myself. Good Luck!

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/ch07_02.html

A Google search of "sharing a windows printer with linux" yielded good results.