PDA

View Full Version : Dual Boot with XP Pro and Knoppix 3.9

Phantom69
10-20-2005, 02:17 AM
i have windows XP Pro already installed and i have the knoppix 3.9 live cd, can some-one either teach me or post a guide or something to teach me how to dual boot...
I already saved 11 Gig of unpartitioned space before installing Windows cause i have been planning on doing this for ages but never figured out how...
please help, it will be very much appreciated...

PS: i searched the forums already and found over 130^ toppics so please help
PSS: i know some stuff about knoppix and am well experienced with windows and computer jargon but please still keep it simple becausei have never done this before :oops:

BY THE WAY I AM NEW HERE, NICE TO MEET YOU ALL I AM PHANTOM69 :twisted:

Harry Kuhman
10-20-2005, 02:41 AM
i have windows XP Pro already installed and i have the knoppix 3.9 live cd, can some-one either teach me or post a guide or something to teach me how to dual boot...
If you're really using the Live CD, then to dual boot either:

Insert the CD when you want to boot Knoppix and remove it to boot WIndows, or

USe XOSL or Smart Boot Manager as a boot manager to decide if you want to boot from hard disk or CD/DVD.
If you are talking about installing the disc to disk, we have an entire forum for people who think that is a good idea (I'm not one of them).

Phantom69
10-20-2005, 03:35 AM
yes this is exactly what i am talking about, installing to disk...
I already know how to use it as a LIVE CD... But what i want to do is:
install to the HD...

I think it is a relatively good idea, sorry you dont feel the same but could you please point me in the right direction <!..!>

tanx (o_O)

PS: if anyone else can reply with a guide etc... your help is welcome and tanx in advance...

ruymbeke
10-20-2005, 03:48 AM
yes this is exactly what i am talking about, installing to disk...
I already know how to use it as a LIVE CD... But what i want to do is:
install to the HD...
I think it is a relatively good idea, sorry you dont feel the same but could you please point me in the right direction <!..!>
tanx (o_O)
PS: if anyone else can reply with a guide etc... your help is welcome and tanx in advance...
Please have a look in here: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition
and here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93758#93758
Best Regards, Gilles

Harry Kuhman
10-20-2005, 04:27 AM
I was under the impression that I did when I pointed out that there was an entire forum on this topic (I urge you to read some of the past posts and see what problems people run into). I've moved this post to that forum for you.

Have you at least looked at installing Debian, the intended for hard disk distribution of Linux that Knoppix is based on? If you have looked at Debian but still decided that you want to have a go with Knoppix then I can certainly respect that choice.

talon0769
10-20-2005, 12:07 PM

try http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=videos/knoppix1

Hope this helps!
talon

Phantom69
10-21-2005, 01:12 AM
thank you all very very much i am going to work on this over the weekend...

ruymbeke
i will have a look at both of those sites, thank you...

Harry Kuhman

I was under the impression that I did when I pointed out that there was an entire forum on this topic (I urge you to read some of the past posts and see what problems people run into). I've moved this post to that forum for you.

Have you at least looked at installing Debian, the intended for hard disk distribution of Linux that Knoppix is based on? If you have looked at Debian but still decided that you want to have a go with Knoppix then I can certainly respect that choice.
yes you did point me in the right direction but i could not find what you were talking about... :( sorry for the inconvinience as you probably know i am new to these forums and do not know my way around... :shock:
and Knoppix comes with an option for a Debian type install which i will use when i learn how to do the install type i want...
i also have Red Hat 6 developers edition which is rather old so i do not know how to make it work...
I am very grateful for your input :wink:

talon0769
i have already seen that video and it is how i learned to install knoppix as a single operating system, but thank you for your input aswell..

thank you all and please continue to try helping me, once i have finally figured out how to do this i will create a guide so that everybody that wants to do this will know how...

Harry Kuhman
10-21-2005, 01:19 AM
and Knoppix comes with an option for a Debian type install which i will use when i learn how to do the install type i want...
The Knoppix "Debian type" install is very very different than a real Debian install. My recomendation is for a real Debian install, not no stinkin' Knoppix Debian type install.

i also have Red Hat 6 developers edition which is rather old so i do not know how to make it work...
I have some old Red Hat and other versions of Linux too. Believe me, the current Debian has a much different install than most old linux installers.

Phantom69
10-21-2005, 01:21 AM
i do not have broadband so i can not download Debian or get a copy of it very easily so i am only stuck with knoppix and the old red hat...

Harry Kuhman
10-21-2005, 01:45 AM
i do not have broadband so i can not download Debian or get a copy of it very easily so i am only stuck with knoppix and the old red hat...
Not having broadband does cramp your style, but if you have a friend with it perhaps you could get him to download the first of the Debian install CD's. As an alternative, BitTorrent will restart a download cleanly, perhaps you could download the Debian install CD (you only realy need the first one of the 14 CD set) over several nights while you sleep or while you are at work. It would certainly take longer but could be done while you are not otherwise using your system or telephone line.

Phantom69
10-21-2005, 03:38 AM
aint gonna work for me...
i am at school (i am 15), i do have friends with broadband but they will not help me, and i have got BitComet but my download will take me for ages and i would not be able to be on the net for all this time so i have no options...
PS: thanx for the suggestions another distro of linux i could possible get is the Gentoo minimal install (70MB) if you guys think it is a good distro (as you know i am a medium exp. with linux systems) another version of linux could be WinLinux which is linux in windows but that is over 300MB so i cant get that either, my only options are Gentoo, Knoppix or Red Hat...
so i guess i am stuck with knoppix which is why iam trying to figure out how to do this dual boot because i want to use bothe systems...

I have considered all my options...
please keep trying to help me, i am continually searching for how to create this dual boot but have been unsuccessful as you probably have already guessed...

thank you, and continue posting :(