PDA

View Full Version : install knoppix on HD

vartok
10-20-2005, 04:38 AM
im compleatly new to this... i have knoppix 3.7 already burned to a disk..... i want to tnstall it on my hard drive.... the think is windows is meesed up right now, so i want to install it on this extra drive i have.... could someone point me in the right direction

willebanks
10-20-2005, 07:36 PM
Howdy vartok,

lets see if I can't make this simple enough for you!

Boot from the CD as normal...
Open a terminal window...(thats the icon that looks like a computer screen in the lower left of the desktop)

type at the prompt

sudo knoppix-installer

hit enter and the fun begins...if you have ever installed a microsoft OS the process will seem somewhat familiar!

Just remember to set your swap partition to at least twice the amount of memory installed on the system and always make a boot floppy...
it my save your system one day!

vartok
10-21-2005, 03:05 AM
ok, i got it installed know but as soon as i try to boot from the HDD, it says "error 17" ne ideas what that is? oh anb buy the way, i went ahead and downloaded 4.0.2, so im usin that now

willebanks
10-21-2005, 06:18 PM
I'm not sure if Knoppix 4 is considered a "stable" verison...

I'm using 3.8 and have never had any problems...

Try looking on the Knoppix web site to see if you version is a beta or stable...
you might consider trying 3.8 or 3.9 I'm pretty sure they are "stable" verisons

Will

vartok
10-21-2005, 09:00 PM
dont worry bout it, i reinstalled it and changed one or 2 of the options, now it works.... but i do have a question.... do i still have to save the settings like i was runn on the live CD,or will they save automaticly?

swen
10-28-2005, 03:44 AM
I can't seem to be able to unmount the partition, and I get the message:error happened during ped_file_system_resize call. What did I do wrong? I really am curious.

gizzmobay
10-28-2005, 04:11 AM
My hard drive on my PC became corrupt and I ended up doing a zero fill so I setup two partitions on the hard drive 1)NTFS for Windows 2)FAT32 for Knoppix or Linux of 5 G. When I type sudo knoppix-installer, will the install to the hard drive prompt me for a drive to install to? Also, how do you setup a dual boot for Windows/Knoppix? How do you set the swap paritition? Lastly, what's the difference between Knoppix and other versions of Linux?

gizzmobay
10-28-2005, 04:51 AM
Okay, I found irongeek's tutorial. Only one question, how do you make a dual boot for Windows/Knoppix?