PDA

View Full Version : Do i need to download the new version?

TheChemist187
10-21-2005, 05:44 AM
Right now i have version 4.0, and in the main backround it sayd 4.0. If i update it will it change by itself to 4.2? Or do i just have to download the new one. Can someone please tell me how exactly it works?

Harry Kuhman
10-21-2005, 06:23 AM
1. There is no "update". To get the new version you download the new version.

2. There is no 4.2 - there is a 4.0.2. It displays 4.0 on it's screen.

TheChemist187
10-21-2005, 06:37 AM
1. There is no "update". To get the new version you download the new version.

2. There is no 4.2 - there is a 4.0.2. It displays 4.0 on it's screen.What about "apt get update"?

Harry Kuhman
10-21-2005, 06:51 AM
What about "apt get update"?
You need to do a bit of reading about what Knoppix is. Knoppix is a live CD based on Debian, but that does not mean that Knoppix = Debian or Debian = Knoppix. The whole apt thing is a Debain thing. If you have installed Debian you can use this update feature to update your application, and you can use the apt tool to download new application from the Debian package system. If you Have Knoppix on a CD or DVD you can't change anything. If you have decided that "installing" it to hard disk is a good idea, then this update "feature" can actually break Knoppix. This is because Knoppix is a mix of several different versions of Debian, and while this mix has been tested and carefully matched to work OK from the disc, updating it changes things in unexpected ways and can hurt you. This is only one of the reasons that many of us try to advise new users that it is not a good idea to install Knoppix to hard disk and that after deciding if they like Debian by trying Knoppix they should actually install Debian. You can download an install CD cleanly from the website. The Debian install is pretty clean at this point and then you can install any or all of the software on the Knoppix CD or DVD from the Debian package system and plenty more software too..

And if you did manage to get the update feature to work without breaking things (or at least without breking anything that was immidately obvious), you would have an updated Debian system on your disk; but that is different than having whatever software has been put on (or removed form) the Knoppix disc between different Knoppix versions. You woukd certainly not have the newest Knoppix version.