PDA

View Full Version : Blueyonder Broadband - won't access net through Knoppix

stevethayne
04-28-2003, 01:40 PM
Hi,

Really like Knoppix. But Knoppix 3.1 would not access the net. However, Knoppix 3.2 did the first time - but never since. Tried using the tools to resolve it. Seems Knoppix can't get a response from Blueyonder. Any ideas? Tried leaving modem turned off overnight, then connecting to Knoppix first thing, before windows. No Joy.

rickenbacherus
04-28-2003, 04:05 PM
Since you mention leaving the modem off overnight I assume you have a cable modem. (Sorry but I have never heard of Blueyonder). Is your interface up?

ifconfig -a
Do you have an IP address?
If not, have you tried taking it down and bringing it back up?

su
<password>
ifdown -a
ifup -a
ifconfig

Got an IP address now? If so, can you ping? What tools have you used thus far?

No IP address yet?- Do you use DHCP? Do you normally have to log on to the Blueyonder network somehow? How is your modem connected to your pc? More details please.....

05-01-2003, 07:39 PM
I have no trouble getting on to the net through Blueyonder, using Knoppix 3.2. Suggest you try the indirect route by configuring Kmail with your server details and Blueyonder username, password, etc. This will at least tell you if Knoppix is really connected to your nic.

stevethayne
05-01-2003, 08:13 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the info. But see thread http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2117 that Harry Kuhman started. Suspect it was an xp that stopped it connecting to net - had previously done so fine. Now connects to the net fine via previously unused extra nic.

rickenbacherus
05-01-2003, 10:59 PM
PHOOEY on wimpdoze! I've just about had it with those dirty bast**ds! Isn't it amazing- if you can't beat em with better coding resort to kindergarten antics and send out f'd up code. I am SO glad i don't use their crappy software.

aay
05-02-2003, 05:47 AM
Hi,
Thanks for the info. But see thread http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2117 that Harry Kuhman started. Suspect it was an xp that stopped it connecting to net - had previously done so fine. Now connects to the net fine via previously unused extra nic.

stevethayne,

I'm glad you found the answer to your problem, but the fact that Windows is doing this is ridiculous. Harry is doing a fine job of documenting this issue. Attention knoppix.net helpers, don't be surprised if we see a lot more of this....I hate Windows.

pervalidus
05-03-2003, 04:24 PM
Here my ADSL won't work because the kernel is compiled with CONFIG_X86_UP_IOAPIC.