PDA

View Full Version : USING KNOPPIX TO RECOVER WINDOWS FILES?

GDASHAFE101
10-22-2005, 04:14 AM
I RECENTLY WAS FORCED TO DO A SYSTEM RECOVERY BECAUSE OF A FOULED UP REPAIR OF EXISTING WINDOWS AND HAD NO OTHER OPTION. THE ONLY THING ON THAT PARTITION WAS WINDOWS AND TWO OF MY HUGE FOLDERS (MY DOCUMENTS AND DESKTOP) WERE ON A DIFFERENT PARTITION NOT AFFECTED BY THE RECOVERY. HOWEVER, MY REINSTALLED WINDOWS WILL NOT ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THERE IS DATA IN THOSE FOLDERS AND THAT MY ACCESS IS DENIED TO THEM(THEY WERE PRIVATE AND PART OF MY USER ACCOUNT IN WINDOWS). IF I USE KNOPPIX OFF THE DISC, I CAN SEE THEM, OPEN THEM, ETC.) I CANNOT MOVE THEM, CREATE NEW FOLDERS, BURN THEM, ETC. WITH KNOPPIX. I JUST NEED TO COPY THEM AND PUT THEM ELSEWHERE ON THAT HD, OR MY OTHER HD. ANY INSIGHT ON THIS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. :shock: :shock: :shock:

babelbrennt
10-26-2005, 02:48 AM
K3b (KMENU--Multimedia) will allow you to burn. Knoppix doesn't write to WINDOWS NTFS partitions so transferring the information to your other hard drive means that it should be formatted FAT32 or whatever Do sudo cfdisk in the console to check. Otherwise a quck way is to to create a persistent home on a pen drive and copy the files there (KMENU---KNOPPIX--------create a persistent home). to copy files over you can drag and drop them like you can using windows. (but first mount them --right click and select mount then make sure that everything is read write by selecting properties and changing as necessary)or in the console do:-

# su
# mount <partition where windows is>
# mount -rw <partition where the file is going>
#cp <path to file>file name ,<path to destination>. OR in the case of directories cp -Rp

e.g.
# su
# mount -rw /dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5
# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/hda1
# cp /mnt/hda5/DocumentsandSettings/user/MyDocuments/Lostfile.doc /mnt/sda1/

pen drives may be called something else (ubb/uba)