PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Linksys WPC54G v3 to work woth Knoppix 3.6

grtflber
10-22-2005, 05:15 AM
I'm trying to do all this on a Gateway Solo 2500, Pent 333Mhz, 192 Ram. I've looked for Linux drivers for the card, but the only help I've found is people writing their own code to make it work. This is way beyond my abilities. I'm not a programmer. I'm moderately capeable as a user. I have set up my own PCs, and networks, installed cards, memory and drives, and S/W, but coding ... not a chance! Is there any downloadable drivers available {preferably with instructions!} I really appreciate any available help. Thanks,
grtflber@comcast.net

MrE
10-29-2005, 04:53 AM
I don't know if these steps will work with Knoppix 3.6 (as I am using the DVD version), but you can try it.

1) Download the Windows drivers for the card from Linksys website (and extract them to a folder), or use the CD that came with the card.

2) Navigate to the folder that contains the drivers you've extracted (you can navigate using a Terminal Window, but the easiest way I think is to use Konqueror to browse to the folder, then chools Tools, Terminal.

3) at the commmand prompt, do

ndiswrapper -i LSTINDS.INF
( I've seen a lot of posts where users say to use the "lsbcmnds.inf" file, but that didn't work for me.

4) then do

modprobe ndiswrapper

You can then enter "ndiswrapper -l" to see if the your card has been detected. (and by this time, the power light on the card should be lit)

You can also try entering "iwconfig" to see the interface where the card is present (probably will show up as the interface for "wlan0" )

Since mine shows up on the wlan0 interface, my next command is

iwconfig wlan0 essid MYESSID; pump -i wlan0

In the above, you replace "MYESSID" with the essid name of your wireless network, and replace wlan0 with whatever interface your WPC54g is appears on.

When I'm away from home, I use Kwifi ( found under Kmenu / Knoppix / Network / Kwifi Manager ), to scan for available networks, then I enter the command above, but replace "MYESSID" with the essid's shown in Kwifi.

There are other arguments that you will need to enter with the last "iwconfig" command if your network is set up with encryption, but I have kept things very simple at home by just running my wireless network open, but with MAC address filtering so that my laptop's MAC is the only thing allowed to connect.