PDA

View Full Version : 4.0.2 USB - cruzer mini flash drive problem

ironbran
10-22-2005, 01:46 PM
Laptop: Dell Inspiron 700M

I was using Knoppix 3.8 with no problems (except for the known WiFi problem).

I downloaded 4.0.2, DVD and CD, and now when I plug my cruzer mini flash drive into my USB port, no icon is generated onto my desktop. When I try to manually map to where it was before (/mnt/usb1) it doesn't exist. It's as if hotplug no longer works for me in 4.0.2.

I have shut my laptop off, plugged my mini cruzer into the USB port, and re-loaded Knoppix 4.0.2 with no luck.

I have tested this with the DVD and the CD of Knoppix 4.0.2 and both have the same problem. I downloaded the DVD from the Greece mirror and the CD from the Purdue mirror.

When I put my 3.8 CD back into my laptop after all of this testing with 4.0.2, my USB recognizes my cruzer mini flash drive just fine, even when I plug it in at the Knoppix desktop.

I have searched as far as I can and cannot find a solution to my problem. I am a Knoppix newbie and I think I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what.

Thanks for your help.

chodaboy
10-22-2005, 06:06 PM
Hi,

1 - Plug you usb key.
2- Open a root shell (KNOPPIX/root shell), and then type #usbview. Does your key appear ?

If your key appear, type cat /proc/partitions, still in the root shell. Your key should key mark as uba1 or ubaX.. Is that correct ? What does appear on your shell ?

ironbran
10-22-2005, 06:39 PM
Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.
When I open the root shell and follow your directions, this is what i get:

root@0[knoppix]# #usbview (then I press enter)
root@0[knoppix]#

basically when i hit enter, it just goes to the next line like nothing happened.
when i type in cat /proc/partitions this is what i get:

root@0[knoppix]# cat /proc/partitions
major minor #blocks name

3 0 78150744 hda
3 1 40131 hda1
3 2 75216330 hda2
3 3 2883667 hda3
240 0 5270144 cloop0
240 2 1873216 cloop2
root@0[knoppix]#

Of course, everything is more lined up in columns than I can convey here. it does nothing more than that.
Again, thank you and thanks to anyone that can help me.

chodaboy
10-22-2005, 10:46 PM
Ok, so It seems you have 3 parts in your hard drive hda. I see 2 problems :

1 - usbview doesnot work, this is weird. May be your kernel does not support usb... I d'ont really know, but usbview has always worked on all the system where I have tested Knoppix.

2 -I don't really know what is cloop on your system, I don't have it on mine. Try to create a directory called test in your directory /mnt
As root, type:

#mount -o umask=000 /dev/cloop /mnt/test
Then, use knoqueror to see/mnt/test

What happens yet ?