PDA

View Full Version : Problem with loading (USB and WXGA Resolution problems)

znai
10-24-2005, 02:31 AM
Hi,

I am using a Fujitsu N3510 notebook and I tried to start knoppix 4.0.2 live cd on the system. It gives an error "connect-debounce failed" several times and says it is closing different ports for each time the error appears -1,2,3,4,5 ... The startup works without any problems in failsafe mode. And also, sometimes works, which is somehow strange for me, when I plug and unplug my USB mouse (or a memory key).

Another problem I have is that it still works on 1024x768 resolution, even though I set it to - "screen=1280x800" (which is my native resolution).

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. :)

ckyip
10-25-2005, 03:17 PM
My DELL notebook also display 1024x768, not default 1280x800.
I have no solution. No time to try fix it.

Try cheatcode nomce ... etc to fix the bootup error.
You can found knoppix-cheatcodes.txt in KNOPPIX folder. It include cheatcode you can try for.
Alway try 'no???' cheatcode to turn off something that you guess it cause error.

My DELL notebook also fail plug-on-play after notebook already boot up.
My DELL notebook will detect USB device when USB device pluged in before notebook boot up.
My DELL desktop PC will detect USB device before and after PC boot up.

So that I think plug-on-play feature will be weaker in notebook.

ckamin
10-26-2005, 02:55 AM
It gives an error "connect-debounce failed" several times and says it is closing different ports for each time the error appears -1,2,3,4,5 ... The startup works without any problems in failsafe mode.
If I am correct in this, these error codes refer to USB errors. For some reason your USB configuration caused some sort of an error and it is telling you that it is closing down various USB ports. It might be a compatibility issue with your USB controller. Using "failsafe" limits the level of hardware detection that Knoppix goes through during boot-up. Try using "knoppix nousb" and see if it gives the same results as "failsafe". If it does, USB is your culprit. Just what the issue is, I don't know, but it would be a start. You might have less errors with something actually plugged into the USB ports, as you have experienced, if I am reading your post correctly. I'm not too sure about this either, but I seem to recall a Dell or Toshiba with a similar issue some time ago. A bios update might have been the fix in that case.

I'm not sure about the display issue, but if I read this correctly, your laptop has a wide screen of 15.4 inches using the 1280x800 vs 1280x1024. I don't know if Knoppix supports the "widescreen" resolution of 1280x800. You can look at the cheatcode section, http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes , and try some of the frame buffer (fb) cheats, along with xmodule=ati or radeon just for starters. Try to experiment a little trying different combinations of relevent codes or codes by themselves.

Good Luck! Let us know how you make out.

znai
10-26-2005, 05:20 AM
Hi,

Thanks about the information. Yes you are right about the display - it is a 15,4 in. and it runs on 1280x800 resolution. When I wrote nousb at startup everything went fine. And it started normally detecting my touchpad.

I have now installed Knoppix on my hard disk and tried to modify the config file of the X server to fix the resolution issue, but with no success. I installed ATI drivers but they did not fix the problem either. Now it does still give the 4.0:1.0 Sonnection-debounce error, which slows the start-up process. After some times it manages to start it and all the USB devices are detected and work normally (a wireless usb mouse and a memory stick).

Now I am looking for a distribution that can handle this problems or at least a solution for solvin them :) This is my first linux install and I will greatly appriciate your help :)

Thank you :)

ckamin
10-26-2005, 10:58 AM
I have now installed Knoppix on my hard disk
Knoppix is actually intended as a "Live Disk" and usually has issues when installed to a hard drive. It is based on Debian and I would recommend installing that distro, if you want something like Knoppix. There are so many choices. Kanotix is another distro similar to Knoppix, but it fares better on a HDD installation. Fedora Core is based on Red Hat and has done well also. Go to www.linux.org and www.distrowatch.com for information on the many distros that are available. You can try many live disk versions of some distros that install well. One that I have personally used is Suse. They have version 10 out now and the install disks are downloadable for free. They also have a live disk, so you can try it before you install it, but I'm not sure if it is version 10. Ubuntu and many others also support a live disk version. Mandrake/Mandriva is another that I have used. Some want to sell you a bundle of software for a bundle of money, but others are somewhat free, like Knoppix. Most have a "free" download of some sort that you can try.

It appears that the 1280x800 resolution might not be supported by the current Knoppix kernel. It may be added at a later date, but I have no information to that regard. I do not have the expertise to add that resolution into the current mix, but I am sure it can or will be done eventually. There are many laptop displays of that configuration, so it should just be a matter of time before someone does it.

Good luck! Be sure to have fun with it!