PDA

View Full Version : Trouble to setup a printer.

Jorge Martínez
10-24-2005, 03:17 PM
I have an Epson Stylus C60 printer that works nicely in Windows, of course after installing the driver.

But I don't know how to do in Knoppix 4.0.2CD.

After Kate>File>Print I get the following error message.

An error occurred while retrieving the printer list:

Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is correctly installed and running. Error: connection refused.

It seems I ought to install the CUPS server, while I thought everything was included in the Knoppix CD.

If I insist, I get the KDE Print, Add Printer Wizard, Introduction screen, but the next screen, Backend Selection, has all options in subdued tones and none can be chosen. This is the end of it, I can't proceed any further.

I need to use the printer. I will appreciate any help.

drb
10-24-2005, 04:07 PM
In console :

su
/etc/init.d/cupsys start

then in Konqueror - http://localhost:631

Set up the printer

You can then save your configuration (say, to a pendrive) and your printer configuration will be available each time you boot the LiveCD with cheatcode myconfig=scan

drb

Jorge Martínez
10-24-2005, 07:27 PM
Thank you, drb.
My scope has improved a lot, but I can't print yet.
Now I can run the Add Printer Wizard, but I have to know to what USB port is the printer connected. I could work it out by trial and error, but there ought to be a means to read the USB ports and know what devices are connected to them. Alternatively, the Wizard could check by itself.
In the meantime, I get the following Kate Error

Unable to load the requested driver:
Unable to create the Foomatic driver [Epson-Stylus_C60,gimp-print]. Either that driver does not exist, or you don't have the required permissions to perform that operation.
Regards
JM

drb
10-24-2005, 09:26 PM
Not sure what your specific problem. The first printer I switch on is USB1, the second USB2 etc. in that order. I've just added an EPSON Photo 1290, gimp driver and it works fine.

drb

MadL
11-29-2005, 04:08 AM
drb: I just wanted to thank you for the info on setting up a printer. I'm new to Knoppix, and I'd been banging my head on the desk trying to get my Stylus C60 to work with it until I came across your post.

Jorge: are you using the Add Printer Wizard program you can access via the K Menu, or are you using the Printer Manager you find when you go to http://localhost:631 using Konqueror or Firefox? I was able to find a driver that worked by using the localhost:631 method (called "Epson Stylus Color Printer", IIRC), but the Add Printer Wizard program in the K Menu still gives me the error message you quoted.

belboz
11-30-2005, 11:35 PM
Along similar lines, I have a Canon S820 on a Win XP machine here, with sharing enabled. In the KDE Add Printer wizard, a workgroup scan with anonymous login lists that server and another Win XP Pro machine on the local network. Using a Guest login produces the workgroup name, but with no members; and the same is true when trying a specific Windows userid and password for the scan.

Trying to expand the resources for either of the machines displayed produces the message "Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED." This is more likely to be a Samba error than in Windows (I think), as no id or password is required for printer sharing from the Win clients.

I have double-checked that the printer is shared, and I have found nothing in forum scans so far that seems to be a match on these symptoms; nor did I see anything in the wiki. Hints and suggestions would be great!

Wayne

MadL
12-02-2005, 06:18 AM
drb: I just wanted to thank you for the info on setting up a printer. I'm new to Knoppix, and I'd been banging my head on the desk trying to get my Stylus C60 to work with it until I came across your post.

Looks like I spoke too soon. The printer works fine for a day or two, then one day, when I try to print from a program (Firefox, Konqueror, OpenOffice)...nothing. The "Printing" dialog box shows up, the computer makes like it's printing, but the printer doesn't move a muscle. When I turn the printer off and on again, it starts spewing pages of gobbledygook that I can't stop (whenever I click "cancel job", Knoppix asks for a password).

Anyone have any ideas what's going on? I'm using the Knoppix 4.0.2 LiveCD boot with a persistent hard disk image to save settings.

MadL
12-03-2005, 06:53 AM
Okay, I've figured out how to set a password, but the Stylus C60 still won't print. I've tried restarting and uninstalling and re-installing the printer, but no dice. Any suggestions?

Woody Ochs
01-10-2006, 05:39 AM
I've experienced some similar CUPS problems on my system, and I think that they might stem from insufficient RAM: I have 384MB of RAM of which the 4.0.2DVD allocates 300MB for its ramdisk. I can configure my printer (an Epson C82) and print with CUPS with no problems up until such time as I place some large load such as opening OpenOffice on the system after which time CUPS ceases to work for the rest of that boot period. If I reboot then CUPS will again work. There are other situations besides running OpenOffice 2.0 which will induce a CUPS failure such as some programs hanging rather than executing (which seems to be happening a lot with my system running the 4.0.2 DVD, again possibly because of insufficient RAM), but OpenOffice is a resource hog and a 300MB ramdisk or a mere 84 MB of available RAM may be too small a pen for it.